Setup Question, DFV Doheny

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:03 am

Hey gang! Been going through the getting-to-know-you stages of fiddling with my Doheny, and working on finding the right balance between action and buzz and so forth. Pretty much approaching the point where my pesky g-string rattle might be down to my sloppy technique as much as anything else!

I do have a question about the DFV specs. The PDF G&L manual calls for the plate to start out even with the body at 3/16", and that the starting ballpark for action at the top fret should be at .062".

Thing is, if I have the plate at 3/16", the saddle for the low E is maxxed out against the plate before the action goes as far down as .062".

Should I drop the plate lower using the fulcrum posts? Will that interfere with the DFV?

If I do drop the plate lower, should I then re-adjust the springs?

Eagerly await your advice. You guys rock.

Re: Setup Question, DFV Doheny

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:16 am

maps_or_guitars wrote:Hey gang! Been going through the getting-to-know-you stages of fiddling with my Doheny, and working on finding the right balance between action and buzz and so forth. Pretty much approaching the point where my pesky g-string rattle might be down to my sloppy technique as much as anything else!

I do have a question about the DFV specs. The PDF G&L manual calls for the plate to start out even with the body at 3/16", and that the starting ballpark for action at the top fret should be at .062".

Thing is, if I have the plate at 3/16", the saddle for the low E is maxxed out against the plate before the action goes as far down as .062".

Should I drop the plate lower using the fulcrum posts? Will that interfere with the DFV?

If I do drop the plate lower, should I then re-adjust the springs?

Eagerly await your advice. You guys rock.

You need to use this setup info instead of the PDF files in our Gallery: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges.
This is the setup used by the factory for 2009 and present builds.

Hope this helps.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:29 am

BET!

Thanks, guys! I knew something was up! Thank you.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:54 am

One other quick question: how high should the DFV be able to bend up? with where it is, I'm getting just short of a half step on the high E.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:41 pm

maps_or_guitars wrote:One other quick question: how high should the DFV be able to bend up? with where it is, I'm getting just short of a half step on the high E.

See this post: DF bridge bending range.

HTH

Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:50 pm

Gotcha! Thanks.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:21 pm

AHA the new factory settings are doing the trick, I think! Now I just need to fix my lousy technique!