USA JB 5 pickup height.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:35 am

Hi guys I’m a Bass player out of Az. I have a few G&L Bass guitars. I have a M2500, L2500 and I just bought a JB 5 string bass guitar. I was just wondering what I should set the pick up height at. 3/32 on the treble side and 4/32 on the bass side? It came in a bit close to the stings. Another question I have is I’m getting a buzz from the tuning keys. It’s just the top part you use to turn with fingers is buzzing. I can rock it back in forth on the a A and G string. I don’t see a way to tighten them. It looks look there just punched in with a pin. Any ideas on how fix the buzz. Thanks a lot guy. Any feed back would be awesome.

Re: USA JB 5 pickup height.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:43 am

Burn4130 wrote:Hi guys I’m a Bass player out of Az. I have a few G&L Bass guitars. I have a M2500, L2500 and I just bought a JB 5 string bass guitar. I was just wondering what I should set the pick up height at. 3/32 on the treble side and 4/32 on the bass side? It came in a bit close to the stings. Another question I have is I’m getting a buzz from the tuning keys. It’s just the top part you use to turn with fingers is buzzing. I can rock it back in forth on the a A and G string. I don’t see a way to tighten them. It looks look there just punched in with a pin. Any ideas on how fix the buzz. Thanks a lot guy. Any feed back would be awesome.

Hey Burnr4130,

I have had a similar problem with the tuning keys. The root cause likely is that the flag (the wide part) is not firmly fitted into the slot. The following remedies are available:
1- Get your soldering iron out, push the flag in as far as possible, and use a bead of solder to affix it.
2- I used a piece of masking tape to affix it. Esthetically not pleasing, but it did the job.
3- In the end, I just bought a spare set of bass tuning keys online. Since they were vintage keys, I went as far as disassembling the old key and only replace the flag with slotted stem.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

P.S. As far as setting up goes, you can start with what G&L published in their manual:

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:51 am

For current factory setup use this post: Current factory setup for G&L basses.

HTH

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:31 pm

That’s kind of what I figured thanks lot!

Tuning Machines

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:23 pm

Dose anybody know if the Schaller BM vintage tuning Machines are a direct replace. I know how to measure it. I just wanted to see if anyone knows from experience?