Fix loose plate MFD ASAT bridge pickup

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:23 am

Hello again everybody,

Yesterday I installed a Stetsbar in one of my ASAT guitars. Turns out that the bridge MFD pickup became microphonic as crazy. It started squealing with just mild gain. To rule out the Stetsbar I did some tests with the pickup alone. It seems I did something to It when installing the Stetsbar because even without the stets plate or any other bridge plate the pickup squeals. But I noticed that when I apply pressure to the brass plate of the pickup the squealing stops and I can go high gain, so I suspect that plate, magnet or both are kind of loose.

I can’t see any crack in the glue beetwen plate and magnet or magnet and bobbin.

Question here is: Will wax potting the pickup again fix the thing? Or should I remove the brass plate and glue It to the magnet again?

I read the posts in the Knowledge Base but It’s unclear to me how to glue the plate and magnet again.

Thanks

VG

Re: Fix loose plate MFD ASAT bridge pickup

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:02 am

vgalo7 wrote:Hello again everybody,

Yesterday I installed a Stetsbar in one of my ASAT guitars. Turns out that the bridge MFD pickup became microphonic as crazy. It started squealing with just mild gain. To rule out the Stetsbar I did some tests with the pickup alone. It seems I did something to It when installing the Stetsbar because even without the stets plate or any other bridge plate the pickup squeals. But I noticed that when I apply pressure to the brass plate of the pickup the squealing stops and I can go high gain, so I suspect that plate, magnet or both are kind of loose.

I can’t see any crack in the glue beetwen plate and magnet or magnet and bobbin.

Question here is: Will wax potting the pickup again fix the thing? Or should I remove the brass plate and glue It to the magnet again?

I read the posts in the Knowledge Base but It’s unclear to me how to glue the plate and magnet again.

Thanks

VG

I suggest you contact G&L's Customer Support and ask Tech Support for suggestions on fixing this.

Hope this helps.

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Thanks Craig,

I pounded my options and tried to fix myself.

It turned out an easy fix. Just put a soldering iron in the pickup plate to reach like 45-50 Celsius degrees measured with infrared thermometer and put some pressure until the temperatura lowered and that's it. Fixed the loose plate.

VG

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:26 pm

vgalo7 wrote:Thanks Craig,

I pounded my options and tried to fix myself.

It turned out an easy fix. Just put a soldering iron in the pickup plate to reach like 45-50 Celsius degrees measured with infrared thermometer and put some pressure until the temperatura lowered and that's it. Fixed the loose plate.

VG

Very cool you were able to fix it. That should inspire others to try it, should they have this same thing happen to them.

Well done! :thumbup: