How to use MFD pickups in Strat

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:31 pm

Hi. Sorry, there is probably a post out there about this but I'm visually impaired and the green is difficult and actually uncomfortable for me to read so please bear with me. Have an ASAT with MFD's and like them. I'm doing a Strat build with Warmoth body and am interested in using MFD's in it. Since there are just neck and bridge versions, I'm guessing that you use two of the neck. Assuming that's the case, is the 2 and 4 position not out of phase and don't cancel hum? Thanks.

Re: How to use MFD pickups in Strat

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:07 pm

If you use S500 pickups, the G&L store has a drop-down to select either “neck/bridge” or “middle.” A full set would be composed of one “middle” between a neck and a bridge. The neck and bridge are interchangeable; the “middle” pickup should be RWRP vs. either neck or bridge, and therefore cancel hum when installed in phase with the other pickups.

Middle pickups are not actually wired “out of phase” on any regular Strat or G&L guitar, but that term is often used to refer to the comb-filtered sound of two single coils with a gap between them. Wiring an S500 with pickups truly “out of phase” will result in an overly bright/nasal combined tone, and no hum-canceling.

If you want to use Jumbo/ASAT MFD pickups rather than S500 pickups, only 'neck' and 'bridge' are available which ought to be wired RWRP relative to each other and give you hum canceling if you use either a 'bridge' between two 'necks' or a 'neck' between two 'bridges' - but off-hand I am unsure whether the bridge and neck Jumbo MFDs are wound to different outputs or with different spacing, so I will let someone else cover that.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:55 pm

If I understand your response, and I'm not interested in the jumbo, there is no middle position RWRP pickup available and they shouldn't be wired that way. I like the 4 position for many things and like the lack of hum so that eliminates them.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:06 pm

rom661 wrote:If I understand your response, and I'm not interested in the jumbo, there is no middle position RWRP pickup available and they shouldn't be wired that way. I like the 4 position for many things and like the lack of hum so that eliminates them.

In case we're both misunderstanding each other, the middle position S500 MFD *should* be RWRP and cancel hum.

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:44 am

Three large MFDs can and has been done. For example the ASAT S-3

http://www.yowhatsshakin.com/yowhatssha ... T_S-3.html

Another option would be to use a S-500 middle pickup like the ASAT Cat, a special model made for Alley Cat Music.

http://www.yowhatsshakin.com/yowhatssha ... proto.html

Cheers,
Dan

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:01 am

I was watching any Alley Cat Music video today, and what would I see... An S-Style with jumbo MFDs!

phpBB [video]

Please share pictures when you are done. I'm guessing it will be pretty sweet!

Cheers,
Dan

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:14 am

rom661 wrote:Hi. Sorry, there is probably a post out there about this but I'm visually impaired and the green is difficult and actually uncomfortable for me to read so please bear with me. Have an ASAT with MFD's and like them. I'm doing a Strat build with Warmoth body and am interested in using MFD's in it. Since there are just neck and bridge versions, I'm guessing that you use two of the neck. Assuming that's the case, is the 2 and 4 position not out of phase and don't cancel hum? Thanks.

You don't have to use the green/black color scheme. Click on the User Control Panel in the upper right, then click on Board Preferences under Options in the left column. There you will see several options for "My Board Style".
Check it out.

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:34 am

suave eddie wrote:
rom661 wrote:Hi. Sorry, there is probably a post out there about this but I'm visually impaired and the green is difficult and actually uncomfortable for me to read so please bear with me. Have an ASAT with MFD's and like them. I'm doing a Strat build with Warmoth body and am interested in using MFD's in it. Since there are just neck and bridge versions, I'm guessing that you use two of the neck. Assuming that's the case, is the 2 and 4 position not out of phase and don't cancel hum? Thanks.

You don't have to use the green/black color scheme. Click on the User Control Panel in the upper right, then click on Board Preferences under Options in the left column. There you will see several options for "My Board Style".
Check it out.

Thank you! I was having the same issue with the green due to my visual impairment. It really is uncomfortable to do any kind of search. Hard to explain. I'll go and change my prefs.

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:41 am

shaman wrote:
suave eddie wrote:

Check it out.

Thank you! I was having the same issue with the green due to my visual impairment. It really is uncomfortable to do any kind of search. Hard to explain. I'll go and change my prefs.

If you have not yet read this post, please do: Welcome! Read This First.