Microphonic Doheny bridge pickup

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:53 am

I have a Tribute Doheny which I really love.

I've recently been playing at louder volumes in a band, and when I crank up my amp and turn up the volume on the guitar, I am getting squealing feedback from the bridge pickup (the neck pickup, by contrast, is absolutely fine).

I've tried shouting into the bridge pickup and can hear my voice coming through the amp (this isn't the case with the neck pickup), so I guess this proves it's microphonic?

I've tried lowering the pickup height, and it hasn't really helped.

I suppose the thing to do is to wax pot the pickup. I am pretty sure they're wax potted at the factory (I can see remnants of wax around the pole pieces if I adjust them), but I guess this sometimes isn't fully effective and needs to be done again?

Before I go to the trouble of desoldering and wax potting, though, is there anything else I should try?

Re: Microphonic Doheny bridge pickup

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:42 am

guitarsammy wrote:I have a Tribute Doheny which I really love.

I've recently been playing at louder volumes in a band, and when I crank up my amp and turn up the volume on the guitar, I am getting squealing feedback from the bridge pickup (the neck pickup, by contrast, is absolutely fine).

I've tried shouting into the bridge pickup and can hear my voice coming through the amp (this isn't the case with the neck pickup), so I guess this proves it's microphonic?

I've tried lowering the pickup height, and it hasn't really helped.

I suppose the thing to do is to wax pot the pickup. I am pretty sure they're wax potted at the factory (I can see remnants of wax around the pole pieces if I adjust them), but I guess this sometimes isn't fully effective and needs to be done again?

Before I go to the trouble of desoldering and wax potting, though, is there anything else I should try?

Assuming you bought the guitar new from a G&L dealer, you should contact them and have them handle it under warranty.
See: G&L PRODUCT SUPPORT.

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:10 pm

Thanks. Did what you suggested and it's been fully repaired under warranty.

:D

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:14 am

guitarsammy wrote:Thanks. Did what you suggested and it's been fully repaired under warranty.

:D

Great!

Now you can enjoy your guitar again! :thumbup: