Early F100 /Non Bi-cut: Truss Bullet?

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:36 am

The nice thing about a bullet adjuster is even if it strips the Allen hole, you can notch it for easy removal or continue to use it. I’m still pretty particular about truss adjusters not being worn though - Mine isn’t too very worn but I like to replace them with fresh ones when available.

The early/plastic sleeve pre-bicut adjusters are smaller than the later ones available in G&L’s online selection - Fender bullets are greater diameter than old G&L as well. Does anyone have tabs on a replacement bullet that is easily available? Or would it be the machine shop route to grind a later one down?

Re: Early F100 /Non Bi-cut: Truss Bullet?

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:45 am

Danley wrote:The nice thing about a bullet adjuster is even if it strips the Allen hole, you can notch it for easy removal or continue to use it. I’m still pretty particular about truss adjusters not being worn though - Mine isn’t too very worn but I like to replace them with fresh ones when available.

The early/plastic sleeve pre-bicut adjusters are smaller than the later ones available in G&L’s online selection - Fender bullets are greater diameter than old G&L as well. Does anyone have tabs on a replacement bullet that is easily available? Or would it be the machine shop route to grind a later one down?

How about this one in the G&L On-Line Store: REPLACEMENT TRUSS ROD NUT KIT ( 80' - 06' )?

Hope this helps.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:14 am

That’s the one I mentioned in my post - it looks like that’s a later bi-cut bullet like my SC3 ; good they’re available but would be too big to fit.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 am

Danley wrote:That’s the one I mentioned in my post - it looks like that’s a later bi-cut bullet like my SC3 ; good they’re available but would be too big to fit.

Hmm, here is the description:
Replacement Truss Rod "Bullet" for USA instruments manufactured from 80's - 06'. Included are two brass spacer washers. We recommend professional installation only. Current US models have dual-action truss rod with integrated bullet that is welded on, not replaceable.

Uses 1/8" hex wrench (not included).

The other bullet truss rod nut they list (which I thought you were talking about not working) is this one: REPLACEMENT TRUSS ROD NUT and the description is:
Replacement 4mm Truss Rod Nut for Tribute Series models and USA instruments manufactured from mid-2006 to mid-2013. Includes two brass spacer washers. Current US models and Tributes built 2015 and later have dual-action truss rods with integrated truss nut that is welded on, not replaceable.

Includes adjustment 4mm hex wrench.

If there is an earlier than 1980 nut which you are looking for, then contact G&L Customer Support for assistance in locating one.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:20 am

This is an ‘83 . Design difference below, one is smaller by 1 - 2 mm in diameter:

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:27 pm

The pre-bicut truss rod bullets are different than the ones sold at the G&L website. I was able to source one by calling musicman directly.

Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:27 pm

derick wrote:The pre-bicut truss rod bullets are different than the ones sold at the G&L website. I was able to source one by calling musicman directly.

Wow - that is really useful info, thanks!

Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Thanks Ernie Ball - this goes on next time I have a need to take the guitar apart :)

Sat May 22, 2021 8:32 am

Recently added to the G&L On-line Store, reference post (thanks, derick!): Skunk Stripe truss rod bullets now available at G&L store...

Here is the link: replacement-truss-rod-nut-80-82.