Is truss rod broken?

Mon May 27, 2019 5:47 am

I just bought a 2013 g and l asat tribute and when I went to set it up I found the truss rod spins both directions freely. Hoping there might be a fix?

I looked around for similar issues and didn’t find any.

Thanks,

Dan

Re: Is truss rod broken?

Mon May 27, 2019 6:37 pm

To make sure- Have you attempted to see if the nut will tighten down with finger strength, or have you just observed that it is loose within a certain range of rotation? Are you able to fully unscrew the nut?

Wed May 29, 2019 2:56 am

Thanks for the response but a bit unsure how you would take the nut off the end? If I just keep unscrewing it will it eventually come off? I actually thought it was all one piece.

Wed May 29, 2019 6:14 pm

As implied by Danley above, what happens if you keep turning it clockwise (tightening it)? Does it become more difficult to turn? It could just be completely loosened.

Thu May 30, 2019 5:39 am

Turned it several full turns in both directions. No change in resistance or neck.

Thu May 30, 2019 6:56 am

Wathunk wrote:Turned it several full turns in both directions. No change in resistance or neck.

It sounds like the truss rod is broken. What is the condition of the truss nut? Does the allen wrench have full purchase of the nut when turning,
or does the wrench slip in the slot (rounded out slot)?

Thu May 30, 2019 2:30 pm

The guitar is in almost new condition with a few scratches on the body. Truss rod nut looks perfect. Allen key not slipping at all. I was hoping it might just be something I was doing but seems more and more that it’s broken. Darn.