Why tone is crap

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:28 pm

I have a new S 500 tribute and every thing is great except it seems like the strings, especially the hi E string, past the 17 the fret seem weak sounding, less sustain. I checked the manual, the bridge is the right clearance, the neck relief is according the manual. # 8 in the manual says the number one bridge should have .062 in clearance Between the 1 St string and 22nd fret. Could this be the problem ? What's the number one bride? How do I make this adjustment, with truss rod, please help, otherwise I love this guitar.

Re: Why tone is crap

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:54 pm

If you bought the guitar brand new, I wouldn't hesitate to bring it back to the retailer and ask if they would exchange it, or offer some service to make it correct. Are you under warrantee?

In all likelihood, your guitar just needs fretwork or a basic setup, including setting neck relief and possibly leveling of the frets. My father bought a Tribute guitar new that I set up the day it was out of the box. I don't know off-hand the precise action measurements but I have the high E string somewhat above the height of my preference. The reason is the higher frets are not consistently level, and tend to 'choke out' even when lower frets play fine.

IMO it's a basic expectation for guitars in the Tribute price range to require some fretwork to be made ideal; in fact, our Tribute arrived wholly without a setup of any sort, un-intonated, centimeter high action etc. - That said, I'd take it to a pro and ask their opinion before claiming any warrantee work, returning the guitar or doing anything drastic. TLDR - Can be fixed, but don't spend any money until you've talked to the retailer :)

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:58 pm

Hans Kung+1 wrote:I have a new S 500 tribute and every thing is great except it seems like the strings, especially the hi E string, past the 17 the fret seem weak sounding, less sustain. I checked the manual, the bridge is the right clearance, the neck relief is according the manual. # 8 in the manual says the number one bridge should have .062 in clearance Between the 1 St string and 22nd fret. Could this be the problem ? What's the number one bride? How do I make this adjustment, with truss rod, please help, otherwise I love this guitar.

Since you mention you are using the manual for setup, you need to see this post for the current setup: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges.

Hope this helps.

Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:41 pm

Danley wrote:If you bought the guitar brand new, I wouldn't hesitate to bring it back to the retailer and ask if they would exchange it, or offer some service to make it correct. Are you under warrantee?

In all likelihood, your guitar just needs fretwork or a basic setup, including setting neck relief and possibly leveling of the frets. My father bought a Tribute guitar new that I set up the day it was out of the box. I don't know off-hand the precise action measurements but I have the high E string somewhat above the height of my preference. The reason is the higher frets are not consistently level, and tend to 'choke out' even when lower frets play fine.

IMO it's a basic expectation for guitars in the Tribute price range to require some fretwork to be made ideal; in fact, our Tribute arrived wholly without a setup of any sort, un-intonated, centimeter high action etc. - That said, I'd take it to a pro and ask their opinion before claiming any warrantee work, returning the guitar or doing anything drastic. TLDR - Can be fixed, but don't spend any money until you've talked to the retailer :)

I played around with it and it's only the high e sting that seems to fret out past 17 fret, should I return it and ask for a new one or just pay out of pocket to have it set up?

Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:45 pm

Craig wrote:
Hans Kung+1 wrote:I have a new S 500 tribute and every thing is great except it seems like the strings, especially the hi E string, past the 17 the fret seem weak sounding, less sustain. I checked the manual, the bridge is the right clearance, the neck relief is according the manual. # 8 in the manual says the number one bridge should have .062 in clearance Between the 1 St string and 22nd fret. Could this be the problem ? What's the number one bride? How do I make this adjustment, with truss rod, please help, otherwise I love this guitar.

Since you mention you are using the manual for setup, you need to see this post for the current setup: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges.

Hope this helps.

I have a low I Q, I don't understand part of the manual but I will check out the link, Thanks. If I need to adjust string height do I only adjust the saddles or do I have to message with bridge also? Thanks

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:53 am

Hans Kung+1 wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hope this helps.

I have a low I Q, I don't understand part of the manual but I will check out the link, Thanks. If I need to adjust string height do I only adjust the saddles or do I have to message with bridge also? Thanks

Check out these posts in this sub-forum:
Set-Ups, answering some questions
Boogie Bill's - Things to do when you get a new guitar

Also check out this link: LINK: G&L Technical Questions & Tips (sorted by Subject).

Hope this helps.