More Bluesboy question

Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:11 pm

Well I had bought myself an alledgedly New 2018 Bluesboy Tribute a few months ago through a known sales site. The ser# showed a 2016 build. I have been researching putting in a new neck P/U and 500K Pots as advised, as well as a Seth Lover or SD '59. I happened to purchase a new notched bridge and decided to tear into that, but something told me this store had not sold me a new Tribute. Took off the pick guard and found a G&L model on P/U Tag PTP6042-GL/LP-CHM-4P4. I have the pickup list but not sure what this pick up is? Chrome case appears to have been opened once and not a real great solder job. First back to ground zero, I am going to install new bridge and look for Pick up # and hopefully with your help I can identify the neck P/U which works, but really sounds muddy. This # P/U shows up on Reverb and appears to be about 8.4K which it does measure (DC res). Maybe it is an AS4255C !! which is supposed to be in there. Just want to know what I am working with before replacement.

PROP

Re: More Bluesboy question

Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:53 pm

Propjob wrote:Well I had bought myself an alledgedly New 2018 Bluesboy Tribute a few months ago through a known sales site. The ser# showed a 2016 build. I have been researching putting in a new neck P/U and 500K Pots as advised, as well as a Seth Lover or SD '59. I happened to purchase a new notched bridge and decided to tear into that, but something told me this store had not sold me a new Tribute. Took off the pick guard and found a G&L model on P/U Tag PTP6042-GL/LP-CHM-4P4. I have the pickup list but not sure what this pick up is? Chrome case appears to have been opened once and not a real great solder job. First back to ground zero, I am going to install new bridge and look for Pick up # and hopefully with your help I can identify the neck P/U which works, but really sounds muddy. This # P/U shows up on Reverb and appears to be about 8.4K which it does measure (DC res). Maybe it is an AS4255C !! which is supposed to be in there. Just want to know what I am working with before replacement.

PROP

The P/U Tag PTP6042-GL/LP-CHM-4P4 would likely be the Cort factory Tag for the G&L pickup model AS4255C.
The DC-R reading does match the AS4255C model pickup.

From List of pickups used in G&L guitars post:
Note About G&L Tribute Series Guitar Pickups
-The Tribute Series instruments that use MFD pickups are the same USA pickups made in Fullerton, CA.
-The single coil Alnico pickups (CLF-100) used in the Tribute Series Legacy are also the same pickups used in the USA Legacy and are made at the Fullerton factory.
-Other single coil Alnico pickups, humbuckers and P-90's used in the Tribute Series instruments are made to G&L's specifications at the Cort facility in Indonesia.

You might email Tech Support to confirm that the P/U Tag of PTP6042-GL/LP-CHM-4P4 is the same as G&L AS4255C.

Hope this helps.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:45 pm

Hi Craig: makes sense at that impedance . So the bridge, which according to the sheet is a USA single coil MFD. It is showing resistance of 6.55 ohms on my fluke. is this a normal reading?

Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:21 pm

Make that 6.55k !!

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:44 pm

Propjob wrote:Hi Craig: makes sense at that impedance . So the bridge, which according to the sheet is a USA single coil MFD. It is showing resistance of 6.55 ohms on my fluke. is this a normal reading?

Propjob wrote:Make that 6.55k !!

Yes, the bridge pickup is a USA single coil MFD and comes from the same stock as all USA ASAT Classic models.
My 2016 ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90 bridge shows DC-R as 6.05k and my 2001 ASAT Classic Bluesboy SH bridge shows DC-R as 5.68k.
I use a Craftsman handheld digital multi-meter for my measurements.

Our chart says it should be around 5.6k for post -1993, but I do know that this changed some time between 2005-2009 to around 6.0k. I just have not yet updated the chart.
And I had ask a contact at G&L several years ago to review our chart and give me updates but did not hear back. I will try again to get some updates
about pickup DC-Rs and will then update the pickup chart.

IMO, I would say that your reading is not that far out to be concerned about it.

Perhaps other members with 2015-current ASAT Classic models could measure the DC-R of their bridge pickups. It it easy to measure, see: Measuring Pickup DC-R.

Hope this helps.

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Thank You Craig!