What finish would be on my BE neck?

Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:39 am

Good Morning:
I have a person on Reverb asking if my 2000-2001 commanche sports a Satin Finished neck? I had gotten all the info I could find so far from the repair dept and the G&L catalogs. I have looked at the neck finish specs on this site and can't give an answer. My original invoice just shows the Bird's eye maple neck. Any way to tell what was a standard finish on these older comanche's? I am trying to set up to post photos on slickpics, however I need more time with that. I have read the Satin Finish only came on one of the basses while I have also read that Satin was a finish (in GL Options) standard on most models?

JIM (prop)

Re: What finish would be on my BE neck?

Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:44 am

Propjob wrote:Good Morning:
I have a person on Reverb asking if my 2000-2001 commanche sports a Satin Finished neck? I had gotten all the info I could find so far from the repair dept and the G&L catalogs. I have looked at the neck finish specs on this site and can't give an answer. My original invoice just shows the Bird's eye maple neck. Any way to tell what was a standard finish on these older comanche's? I am trying to set up to post photos on slickpics, however I need more time with that. I have read the Satin Finish only came on one of the basses while I have also read that Satin was a finish (in GL Options) standard on most models?

JIM (prop)

JM,

With a BEM neck, the finish more than likely is Gloss. But you can just compare the "glassiness" of the neck with that of the body. Or think ol' time photo prints. When the finish looks like a mirror, it is Gloss(y). When the finish doesn't seem to reflect as much, it is satin (or matte in ol' photo speak).

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:53 am

Propjob wrote:Good Morning:

JIM (prop)

Does the neck have a Gun-Oil Tint? If so, it would be as Jos said; in 2000-1 it would have a Polished Glossy finish.
The stock neck finish would be Satin on un-tinted necks. In 2000-1, they also had a Polished Glossy finish option for all necks.

Can you post photos (front and back) of the neck on your Comanche?

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:13 am

Hi Jos and craig;
I have been trying to figure out the posting with the codes and have a new account on Slickpics. I can put on a gallery in zenfolio and let you look at it that way if quicker.
JIM

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:34 pm

Well I tried to upload from slick pics but to no avail have to continue later

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Propjob wrote:Well I tried to upload from slick pics but to no avail have to continue later

See: Tutorial: Posting photos.

Hope this helps.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:14 am

Hi Craig 6 AM east coast time, going to try again.. I did all of the above. I am able to post the code between the IMG code as stated but get the code not the photo in preview. If I wanted to place the line of code "thumbs" , is that placed in a line after IMG??? This is driving me to the bat house. BTW good morning

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:52 am

Jim sent me his photos of the neck:

It looks like a Satin finished untinted Birdseye maple neck. The back of the neck shows some glossing due to use and that is normal wear.

Hope this helps.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:13 am

Craig wrote:Jim sent me his photos of the neck:

[ Pictures removed. See Craig's post above]

It looks like a Satin finished untinted Birdseye maple neck. The back of the neck shows some glossing due to use and that is normal wear.

Hope this helps.

Agree. I'm a bit surprised to see such a BEM neck but it is what it is.

- Jos