New Old Topic (Switching from 9's to 10's string set)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:23 am

Hi:
I own a couple of G&L USA Semi Hollow ASAT Specials. One of them was purchased by me in Mid-2002. Having bought the guitar for collection, it was hardly played and occasionaly taken out for maintenance. I have actively gotten back into playing and selling guitars. Back in the days I had probably had the dealer put new strings on and they would just put what you wished . I was too fresh to even have an idea then. (maybe when I am 90) I have brought the guitar back out to check setup and checked string size as 10-46’s. I also noticed the Bass E tighter in the fret and my belief it was hanging up. According to the forum G&L used 9’s prior to Feb 2002. My serial # falls a little short of that date. I have been tempted to open the nut slots 6-5-4-with the wound strings , lubricating and call it a day. I use 10’s on the other guitars but don’t want to tweak the spacing if it does not need to be. The serial # on this guitar is CLF26331.
PROP
Last edited by Craig on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added clarity to subject line)

Re: New Old Topic (Switching from 9's to 10's string set)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:05 pm

Prop,

Given the S/N, you guitar is pretty much on the cusp of the transition to 10s. But I have to say I have not had any trouble on any of my guitars of an earlier date where I transitioned from 9s to 10s. 11s? Different story. So carefully check whether 10s are binding in the nut of you 2002 ASAT Special. And do what you are proposing if that is the case.

Good luck!

- Jos

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:32 pm

Hi jos.
Yes it presently has 10’s on it now. I was going to throw on some SIT 9’s that are a hybrid between 10,s and 9,s These are the S946 rock and roll. If I don’t care for them I will widen the bass string slots wit a wound string of size and lubricate. I don t see me putting 11 s on. I know with 10 .046 the low E and A are tighter than my other special which is a year newer.
Jim

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:59 pm

Well I sent pictures to G&L repair and he felt nut slots should be larger, so after making adjustment to nut (only Low E) by using string as file, I proceeded to do a pretty complete set up. Did anyone put together a setup instruction that updated version 2 ? Was able to figure it out, but the part of setup where the saddle #6 is set to 1/8" will give a lot more than .062 at 22 string on Low E. Treble wasn't much of a problem. Had to read and reread manual to make sure I was not as baffled as I thought. I ended setting up at 12 fret and came out pretty good. I do find that bass E has a little buzz but I think once mu relief settles I'll tweak a little more. If there is something that is newer than Version 2 for a 4 bolt 2002 ASAT. Love to know it. I did find one that had been posted by "Dalto" but that was still ambiguous . I did find that the guitar tech some time back left an individual saddle screw backed off as well as the Saddle lock screw. Truss rod is presently adjusted to .011. This is definitely a learning experience.

Prop

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:04 pm

Propjob wrote:Well I sent pictures to G&L repair and he felt nut slots should be larger, so after making adjustment to nut (only Low E) by using string as file, I proceeded to do a pretty complete set up. Did anyone put together a setup instruction that updated version 2 ? Was able to figure it out, but the part of setup where the saddle #6 is set to 1/8" will give a lot more than .062 at 22 string on Low E. Treble wasn't much of a problem. Had to read and reread manual to make sure I was not as baffled as I thought. I ended setting up at 12 fret and came out pretty good. I do find that bass E has a little buzz but I think once mu relief settles I'll tweak a little more. If there is something that is newer than Version 2 for a 4 bolt 2002 ASAT. Love to know it. I did find one that had been posted by "Dalto" but that was still ambiguous . I did find that the guitar tech some time back left an individual saddle screw backed off as well as the Saddle lock screw. Truss rod is presently adjusted to .011. This is definitely a learning experience.

Prop

See: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with hardtail bridges and
Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges.

Hope this helps.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:24 am

Hi Craig;
You must be sick of these setup posts.. Thanks for your reply.. My guitars are 2000-2003, and my ASATS have the Saddle lock, which would be Non Vibrato. As mentioned in the post (or asked) is there anything updated for that time era other than the manuals in the gallery that leaves the Micro tilt (which I don't have out of the equation. I am so close to getting the adjustments, however I am so far not liking the 9 -46 for strings on that guitar. With the 7.5 radius fret board these strings are wild.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:23 am

Propjob wrote:Hi Craig;
You must be sick of these setup posts.. Thanks for your reply.. My guitars are 2000-2003, and my ASATS have the Saddle lock, which would be Non Vibrato. As mentioned in the post (or asked) is there anything updated for that time era other than the manuals in the gallery that leaves the Micro tilt (which I don't have out of the equation. I am so close to getting the adjustments, however I am so far not liking the 9 -46 for strings on that guitar. With the 7.5 radius fret board these strings are wild.

Remember, the current factory setups will get you to a good starting point. Depending upon your preferences, make adjustments either up or down from there.
Here are a couple of general setup posts you may have missed in this sub-forum:
Set-Ups, answering some questions
Boogie Bill's - Things to do when you get a new guitar

Also, use this link: LINK: G&L Technical Questions & Tips (sorted by Subject) to see what is currently in this sub-forum.

Hope this helps.