Doheny Pickups

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:18 am

Hello,

I would like to experiment with the Doheny MFDs, but I don't care for the other elements of the Doheny, so I'd like to put them in one of my Jazzmasters.

So, I have three questions:

1) Will the pickups fit Jazzmaster pickup cutouts?

2) Is there any way to buy them separately?

3) Are there any black covers for them?

Thank you.

Re: Doheny Pickups

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:55 am

I‘ve seen black covers on Dohenys

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:04 am

Its_Him_Again wrote:Hello,

I would like to experiment with the Doheny MFDs, but I don't care for the other elements of the Doheny, so I'd like to put them in one of my Jazzmasters.

So, I have three questions:

1) Will the pickups fit Jazzmaster pickup cutouts?

2) Is there any way to buy them separately?

3) Are there any black covers for them?

Thank you.

1) Yes

2) Dave M. did say they probably will be added to the G&L On-Line store but not anytime soon. I'm not sure if the Humbucker version will be added though.
You might check eBay for parted-out Tribute Doheny pickups (white cover only).

3) Yes for the US models.

In case you missed this post, check it out: New Video Shootout, Jazzmaster -vs- Doheny.

Hope this helps.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:19 pm

Thanks, Craig.

I gave up on the video about 1:15 in, when he says he never remembers what the Rhythm Circuit does, and he's not sure anyone uses it anyhow. He is not the right guy to be doing such a comparison, then.

The Doheny is just a Dual Fulcrum setup with special pickups and a different body shape – basically an S500 with two [different] MFDs instead of 3. The only thing that functionally sets it apart from any other DF-equipped G&L is the pickups. Exactly the reason I don't care for the guitar itself, but I seriously want the pickups from it. The Rhythm Circuit and the Jazzmaster vibrato/bridge are the only reasons I use my JMs and my Jag. The video review makes no sense, because it wouldn't ever be an "either or" decision between those two guitars. They're very, very different.

If the Doheny was at least built with a rhythm circuit, I would really think about one. If they provided the option for ordering one with a Jazzmaster style bridge and vibrato, I'd order a nitro CS version right away.

Thanks again for your help...but I'm definitely not getting a Doheny in the model's current form.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Its_Him_Again wrote:
The Doheny is just a Dual Fulcrum setup with special pickups and a different body shape – basically an S500 with two [different] MFDs instead of 3.

Not quite true; the Doheny uses a more Fender-format neck joint than the S500 (rounded end with 21 frets.) As far as I know every other G&L uses the square neck with 22 frets. Splitting hairs, but that means about the only structural/format thing it has in common is the DFV; almost everything else is a different format from the S500 . TLDR: Depends how you define 'basically the same.' I'd also argue the change of body shape itself is pretty drastic - one reason I really prefer Jazzmasters is the ergonomics of the shape, the position of the strap buttons & bridge etc.

The only thing that functionally sets it apart from any other DF-equipped G&L is the pickups. Exactly the reason I don't care for the guitar itself, but I seriously want the pickups from it. The Rhythm Circuit and the Jazzmaster vibrato/bridge are the only reasons I use my JMs and my Jag. The video review makes no sense, because it wouldn't ever be an "either or" decision between those two guitars. They're very, very different.

You're absolutely correct that I don't think anyone thinks the Doheny is a substitute for any Fender Offset. I'm probably one of the biggest Jazzmaster/Jaguar purists out there - have a few and they're all bone stock with the rhythm circuit, stock/vintage bridge etc. I agree the Doheny is aimed to do something very different - but I do still have an appetite for the Doheny myself. It'd be interesting to hear a demo between the Doheny & Jazzmaster pickups on the same model guitar.

If the Doheny was at least built with a rhythm circuit, I would really think about one. If they provided the option for ordering one with a Jazzmaster style bridge and vibrato, I'd order a nitro CS version right away.

I'm actually happy G&L did something different than a standard Offset - after all, as mentioned I have a few Jazzmasters already, so I wouldn't be able to justify buying another copy of the same thing from G&L - But I do still lust after the Doheny for what it does different while acknowledging my Jazzmaster isn't going anywhere. That said I also wish the pickups could be purchased separately. I'd likely buy a set to play around with.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:21 pm

Danley wrote:
Its_Him_Again wrote:
The Doheny is just a Dual Fulcrum setup with special pickups and a different body shape – basically an S500 with two [different] MFDs instead of 3.

Not quite true; the Doheny uses a more Fender-format neck joint than the S500 (rounded end with 21 frets.) As far as I know every other G&L uses the square neck with 22 frets. Splitting hairs, but that means about the only structural/format thing it has in common is the DFV; almost everything else is a different format from the S500 . TLDR: Depends how you define 'basically the same.' I'd also argue the change of body shape itself is pretty drastic - one reason I really prefer Jazzmasters is the ergonomics of the shape, the position of the strap buttons & bridge etc.

The only thing that functionally sets it apart from any other DF-equipped G&L is the pickups. Exactly the reason I don't care for the guitar itself, but I seriously want the pickups from it. The Rhythm Circuit and the Jazzmaster vibrato/bridge are the only reasons I use my JMs and my Jag. The video review makes no sense, because it wouldn't ever be an "either or" decision between those two guitars. They're very, very different.

You're absolutely correct that I don't think anyone thinks the Doheny is a substitute for any Fender Offset. I'm probably one of the biggest Jazzmaster/Jaguar purists out there - have a few and they're all bone stock with the rhythm circuit, stock/vintage bridge etc. I agree the Doheny is aimed to do something very different - but I do still have an appetite for the Doheny myself. It'd be interesting to hear a demo between the Doheny & Jazzmaster pickups on the same model guitar.

I'm actually happy G&L did something different than a standard Offset - after all, as mentioned I have a few Jazzmasters already, so I wouldn't be able to justify buying another copy of the same thing from G&L - But I do still lust after the Doheny for what it does different while acknowledging my Jazzmaster isn't going anywhere. That said I also wish the pickups could be purchased separately. I'd likely buy a set to play around with.

That is true...but not really the kind of thing I was talking about. I was talking about things that make for major functional and tonal differences. The vibrato design, the MFD pickups (of a different type, but of the same basic MFD design). An extra fret is a minor detail to me. I could take it or leave it, and it doesn't significantly change the instrument either way.

So, it's still "basically" a two pickup S-500 to me. "Basically" doesn't mean "exactly" in my use. It just means that the "meat" of the guitar is the same: DF vibrato, MFDs – those are the main factors that I was looking at when I said that. It has one less fret and a different body shape, which are just cosmetic to me.