What is the name of my '82 SC-2 finish color?

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:06 am

Hi, don't know if this is the right topic for my question. I have a '82 SC 2 in what I believe Fiesta Red. But I have read here that this colour was not factory so maybe it was a refinish. How can I recognise this ? Under the red paint some white is showing up, but could this be a basic layer already sprayed on before laquering ? Forgive me my English, I am form Belgium..
Last edited by Craig on Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: admin move and renamed post to the appropriate forum

Re: What is the name of my '82 SC-2 finish color?

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:43 am

bossie wrote:Hi, don't know if this is the right topic for my question. I have a '82 SC 2 in what I believe Fiesta Red. But I have read here that this colour was not factory so maybe it was a refinish. How can I recognise this ? Under the red paint some white is showing up, but could this be a basic layer already sprayed on before laquering ? Forgive me my English, I am form Belgium..

Please post a photo of your guitar so that we can visually verify the actual color.

The G&L color name was Red but later it became Fullerton Red when they moved from Nitro to Poly finishes. So, Fullerton Red is the same as Fiesta Red.
See this Ad Slick for the early SC-* models and the first reference (we have) to Fullerton Red in a G&L Catalog in our Gallery: Album: 198? SC-1, SC-2, SC-3 Ad Slick and
Album: 1996-97 Catalog

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Added reference to the 1996-97 G&L Catalog

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi , thanks for the answer. If I compare it with the photos on the catalogue it is indeed red. When I first registered this SC 2 a few years ago I got the comment that this colour did not exist and probably was a refinish. Glad it is not !

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:00 pm

I have tried to post photos but did not find out how to do exactly.

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:10 pm

bossie wrote:I have tried to post photos but did not find out how to do exactly.

See the Welcome! Read This First post. And look for the link to the Tutorial on posting photos.

Looking forward to seeing your SC-2. :searching:

Hope this helps.

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:19 am

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:22 am

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:27 am

A black one, body 82 neck 83

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:28 pm

That looks like Red/"Fiesta Red" and could have been the original finish - but I'm curious about the wear spot. Looks like there's primer; I reviewed a lot of the posts around G&L nitro finishing of the era/Fred Finisher posts, and my understanding is (at least some of the time) G&L didn't use primer and instead substituted clear lacquer coats under the color coat? Also seems like a lot of G&Ls wear straight to wood rather than show any primer coats; can anyone help clarify if primer was ever used?

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:32 am

I have seen white primer under a stock 80's finish.