Skyhawk Nut Replacement

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:56 am

My '90 Skyhawk has had a chipped nut for a while...the superglue/baking soda fix
didn't sound the same on the open high 'e'...so time for some TLC.

I can carve one from scratch, but if I can just buy one...that'd be great :D
I'm having a hard time finding the right size online....maybe I'm overlooking a source.
I've searched StewMac,Allparts,ebay,etc.... Am I missing somewhere?

I can slot a blank if needed, but I'd prefer not to make a jig to radius the bottom if I can just buy a
machine made nut. I see some brass nuts out there at 3.5mm, but I'd like to keep her looking stock.

I am looking for Tusq, Corian, Graphite...something slippery (no bone).
Preferably white or antique white...I could live with black.
The thickness is one obstacle, the Tusq are either 1/8" (3.175mm) or 1/4" (that'd make alot of dust).

The bottom is curved ; 12" radius
The dimensions are 41.5mm (Length) x 4.5mm (Height) x 3.5mm (Thickness)

...or maybe I should contact G&L.

Craig,
Do you know if G&L currently uses those dimensions? Should I contact support if that's an option?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and leads,
Elwood

Re: Skyhawk Nut Replacement

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:06 am

Hey Elwood,

I'm somewhat surprised the bottom is curved. I thought the bottom of the nut slot was flat. Are you sure about that? In any case, one particular item likely in you possession happens to have a 12" radius. It is making somewhat of a resurgence nowadays where the "snobs" call it "vinyl" instead of "LP". If you start with a blank, you might be able to use one more LPs you don't care about, attach sandpaper to the rim, and use this jig to create a curved recess yourself.

Just an idea.

- Jos

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:00 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:Hey Elwood,

I'm somewhat surprised the bottom is curved. I thought the bottom of the nut slot was flat. Are you sure about that? In any case, one particular item likely in you possession happens to have a 12" radius. It is making somewhat of a resurgence nowadays where the "snobs" call it "vinyl" instead of "LP". If you start with a blank, you might be able to use one more LPs you don't care about, attach sandpaper to the rim, and use this jig to create a curved recess yourself.

Just an idea.

- Jos

Yes they were curved, but that was changed,see: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5780.

Hope this helps.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:15 am

Here is another post to check out:http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14215

Hope this helps.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:33 am

I would be interested to know exactly what the nut on my Nighthawk should be. Width, length etc but most importantly is it radiused or flat? Is it a 12 inch radius fret board? Is there a page here or a web site that lists all the detailed specs for Leo era guitars? At least the common specs and options. GG's site lists quit a bit but lacks the radius and a few other details that would be helpful. I believe the Nighthawk pretty much came in one package due to the short production run.

So, it would be nice to have a comprehensive set of data related to the older guitars...where can I find it?

Thanks for any insight.

Tom

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:42 pm

Googled the price lists found elsewhere in the forum- looks like the Nighthawk is 7.5" , the Skyhawk has an asterisk for 12" being special order.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:31 pm

Thanks all for the input.

Jos,
I popped the old nut out before posting, so I am sure about the curved bottom (and 12" radius).
LP's are 12" diameter :think: , I have use two old records clamped together to radius fretwire...
can't do that with an MP3 :mrgreen:

It looks like I'll have to make one from scratch from an oversized piece of material,
unless G&L has some 3.5mm thick stock they want to send me.

Any thoughts about Corian vs. Micarta vs. Tusq vs. graphite...etc. ?

I'll order the oversized Tusq blank today, thanks again for the advices,
Elwood

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:03 pm

Elwood wrote:Thanks all for the input.

Jos,
I popped the old nut out before posting, so I am sure about the curved bottom (and 12" radius).
LP's are 12" diameter :think: , I have use two old records clamped together to radius fretwire...
can't do that with an MP3 :mrgreen:

It looks like I'll have to make one from scratch from an oversized piece of material,
unless G&L has some 3.5mm thick stock they want to send me.

Any thoughts about Corian vs. Micarta vs. Tusq vs. graphite...etc. ?

I'll order the oversized Tusq blank today, thanks again for the advices,
Elwood

Does your Skyhawk have the #1 neck (1 5/8” nut width) or the #3 neck (1 3/4” nut width)?

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:13 pm

Elwood wrote:LP's are 12" diameter :think:

Shucks! That right :oops: Guess you have to suspend them from the other end then to swing them around with a 12" radius ...

These imperial units are still tripping me up at times ...

- Jos

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:44 pm

Craig wrote:

Does your Skyhawk have the #1 neck (1 5/8” nut width) or the #3 neck (1 3/4” nut width)?

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:50 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote: If you start with a blank, you might be able to use one more LPs you don't care about, attach sandpaper to the rim, and use this jig to create a curved recess yourself.

I''ll post a pic of the jig I come up with, it might be funny looking :D

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:54 pm

Elwood wrote:
Craig wrote:

You might contact G&L Support to see if they have any old nut stock. No guarantee but do mention
you are a GbL member. It’s worth a shot. If you do, let us know what they say.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:20 pm

Craig wrote:
Elwood wrote:
Craig wrote:

You might contact G&L Support to see if they have any old nut stock. No guarantee but do mention
you are a GbL member. It’s worth a shot. If you do, let us know what they say.

Thanks Craig,
I ordered an oversized Tusq blank today, that should do the trick after a bit of work.
If I contact G&L I'll report back, thanks again.
Elwood

P.S.... would they be in an old Planters cocktail peanut can? ;)

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:50 pm

FZTNT wrote:I would be interested to know exactly what the nut on my Nighthawk should be. Width, length etc but most importantly is it radiused or flat? Is it a 12 inch radius fret board? Is there a page here or a web site that lists all the detailed specs for Leo era guitars? At least the common specs and options. GG's site lists quit a bit but lacks the radius and a few other details that would be helpful. I believe the Nighthawk pretty much came in one package due to the short production run.

So, it would be nice to have a comprehensive set of data related to the older guitars...where can I find it?

Thanks for any insight.

Tom

You can find the specs in the Gallery. For the Nighthawk see: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/main.php?g2_itemId=11698.

As I mentioned in my earlier posts, the nuts were radiused until they changed them to flat when they changed the production of the necks using CNC machining. So, all Nighthawks have radiused nuts.

Hope this helps.