Question about Kahler trem systems on G&L guitars

Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:05 am

I've been wondering if there is really any difference between drop tuning and adjusting a Kahler tremolo system as opposed to a Floyd Rose system. I have watched videos online of guys tuning the Floyd systems down 1/2 step in 10 minutes or less and wondered if the process was the same for a Kahler trem. In the videos for the Floyd system, the steps taken to drop tune it were as follows:

1. Lock or block off the tremolo so it doesn't move
2. Loosen the screws in the locking nut
3. Set all fine tuners in the trem to mid-level
4. Tune each string with the headstock tuning keys in this order Low E High E B A G and D
5. Tighten the screws in the locking nut
6. Unlock/Unblock the trem
7. Loosen the trem springs, moving the trem out until basically in tune
8. Fine tune with the trem tuners until in tune

Since the springs on a Kahler are adjusted from the top of the trem, should this adjustment be made as well or should it just be Steps 1 - 6 above only ?

Re: Question about Kahler trem systems on G&L guitars

Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:53 am

In case you are not familiar with it, Gary Kahler has 3 part video series out there providing a 101 on setting up a Kahler unit:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iaex6G5qNWU
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QQXti9k3iw
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl1BjBU0jng

- Jos

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:03 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:In case you are not familiar with it, Gary Kahler has 3 part video series out there providing a 101 on setting up a Kahler unit:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iaex6G5qNWU
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QQXti9k3iw
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl1BjBU0jng

- Jos

I have it, all 3 videos , but they do not detail the specific steps of detuning down 1/2 step from standard pitch

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:14 pm

For setup and maintenance information on the Kahler vibratos, see http://www.kahlerusa.com.

Reference post: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges.

Hope this helps.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:28 pm

Craig wrote:
For setup and maintenance information on the Kahler vibratos, see http://www.kahlerusa.com.

Reference post: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges.

Hope this helps.

Again, these setup videos by Gary Kahler on the Kahler USA website and YouTube do not detail the specific steps for detuning the tremolo down 1/2 step, but I appreciate the thoughts guys... thanks \m/

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:33 pm

There is a Contact page on the Kahler website, so you might ask them.

Hope this helps.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:16 pm

Kenny821 wrote:Again, these setup videos by Gary Kahler on the Kahler USA website and YouTube do not detail the specific steps for detuning the tremolo down 1/2 step, but I appreciate the thoughts guys... thanks \m/

That is a confusing statement. The physics of detuning the guitar by 1/2 a step is no different than using a different string gauge or use open tuning: the string tension is no longer balanced by the restoring force of the springs in the unit, no matter whether it is a DFV, Kahler, or Floyd Rose, and the unit needs to be rebalanced and intonation needs to be addressed. The videos will help you do that. However, you can also use this Adjustments and Setups guide. BTW, the Whammy Parts website has a whole page with Kahler resources.

- Jos

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:20 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Kenny821 wrote:Again, these setup videos by Gary Kahler on the Kahler USA website and YouTube do not detail the specific steps for detuning the tremolo down 1/2 step, but I appreciate the thoughts guys... thanks \m/

That is a confusing statement. The physics of detuning the guitar by 1/2 a step is no different than using a different string gauge or use open tuning: the string tension is no longer balanced by the restoring force of the springs in the unit, no matter whether it is a DFV, Kahler, or Floyd Rose, and the unit needs to be rebalanced and intonation needs to be addressed. The videos will help you do that. However, you can also use this Adjustments and Setups guide. BTW, the Whammy Parts website has a whole page with Kahler resources.

- Jos

+1

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:43 pm

DanDoulogos wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:

- Jos

+1

The tremolo unit is already setup, I do not need to adjust it any further...I was looking for the specific steps taken when downtuning 1/2 step from Standard 440 pitch 1. Lock the tremolo as a fixed bridge 2. loosen the screws in the locking nut , etc. etc.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:58 pm

My questions have been answered by Kahler tech support, Thank you to those that took the time to try and help me with this, I do appreciate it \m/

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:07 pm

What was their answer?

- Jos

Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:14 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:What was their answer?

- Jos

I basically asked them to detail each step in tuning down 1/2 step from standard 440 pitch with a Kahler tremolo, all in all...I had already known the steps.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Kenny821 wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:What was their answer?

- Jos

I basically asked them to detail each step in tuning down 1/2 step from standard 440 pitch with a Kahler tremolo, all in all...I had already known the steps.

How about sharing these steps with the rest of the community here?

TIA.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:49 pm

For anyone with a Kahler tremolo system on their guitar that does not know how to tune down 1/2 step or wants to detune their guitar even further, the steps taken to do this are as follows: ( As discussed between myself and Kahler tech support )

1.) Lock the tremolo using the locking screw in the base, making it a fixed bridge. If your Kahler tremolo is completely countersunk into the body ( like my Jerry Cantrell Rampage ) or no locking screw is present, simply use a small stack of business cards or small piece of wood under the floating cam so it doesn't move.

2.) Loosen the screws in the locking nut, usually a half turn of the screws will do this.

3.) Stretch each string by giving a gentle tug up and down the length of the string

4.) Set all the fine tuners in the bridge to their mid height position ( this is easily done by setting one fine tuner all the way high, one tuner all the way low, and the tuner between the 2 at its mid point then setting all the other tuners to the same height as the one at its mid point ).You should be able to rest something flat across the fine tuners when they are all at their middle position.

5.) Tune each string with the headstock tuning keys to the pitch you desire in this order Low E, High E, B, A, G and D ... This is supposed to create balance in the tension on the neck ( I have heard a difference of opinion on this, where the strings should be tuned in this order from center of the neck to outside edges: D, G, A, B, High E, Low E ) Once you are basically in tune and each string is holding it's tune, proceed to the next step.

6.) Tighten the screws in the locking nut, again usually just a half turn, do not over-tighten

7.) Unlock or unblock the bridge so it becomes a floating tremolo again ( Once you unlock or unblock the tremolo, your tuning will be a little off or out of tune. )

8.) Adjust the tremolo spring tension using the center hole in the cam, clockwise will tighten the screws, counterclockwise will loosen them until the cam sits level and flush with the top edge of the outer base plate.

9.) Finally, use the fine tuners in the bridge to tweak the tuning of each string to perfect pitch

After completing these steps your guitar and it's Kahler tremolo should be tuned to the pitch you desire. * This procedure also works exactly the same on a Floyd Rose tremolo system for those of you who have them.* .... The only difference on a Floyd would be when adjusting the tremolo springs, it is done from the rear of the guitar and you would loosen the springs just slightly to move the tremolo back towards the bottom of the guitar body... I hope this helps my fellow G&L owners that have Kahler tremolo systems \m/