Which nut specs on Asat Classic?

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:31 am

I'd like to replace the nut on my Asat Classic. I don't know exactly what the radius is of my fretboard... how can I find this out? I bought the guitar used, so all I know is that it's older than 2 years. I'm estimating 9", but how can I be sure? Also, is the bottom of the nut flat or curved? I know, I can remove the nut to see for myself, but that would mean I would have to play with an unglued nut untill the new one arrives...

Re: Which nut specs on Asat Classic?

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:48 am

Pelskens wrote:I'd like to replace the nut on my Asat Classic. I don't know exactly what the radius is of my fretboard... how can I find this out? I bought the guitar used, so all I know is that it's older than 2 years. I'm estimating 9", but how can I be sure? Also, is the bottom of the nut flat or curved? I know, I can remove the nut to see for myself, but that would mean I would have to play with an unglued nut untill the new one arrives...

Is it a Tribute Series ASAT Classic or US ASAT Classic? The Tribute AC would be 9" radius. The US AC would likely be either 7.5" or 12" radius and if you have
the Custom Build Specifications sheet, the neck specifications will be listed on it.
See: 2014-15 (pre-July 1) G&L U.S. Specifications and Options and 2014-15 Tribute Series Standard Production Models...
Also, see: Are G&L nuts curved or flat on the bottom?

Can you post some photos of your guitar? For posting photos see: Tutorial: Posting photos.

Hope this helps.

Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:09 am

Thanks Craig!
It's an ASAT Classic, so USA made. Blueburst finish. I just cut out some paper radiusses to estimate and the smaller ones seem to fit best. Definitely not 12", and 7.5" seems a better fit then 9".
The serial number is CLF12944, so definitely younger than mid 1998.
Width seems 1 5/8".
And I checked the bottom of the nut to be sure, and it is curved.

Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:39 am

Pelskens wrote:Thanks Craig!
It's an ASAT Classic, so USA made. Blueburst finish. I just cut out some paper radiusses to estimate and the smaller ones seem to fit best. Definitely not 12", and 7.5" seems a better fit then 9".
The serial number is CLF12944, so definitely younger than mid 1998.
Width seems 1 5/8".
And I checked the bottom of the nut to be sure, and it is curved.

The serial number would put the build year as 1997-98. See: Serial number significance.
See this post for the neck options over the years: What are the USA neck size options, past and present?
It is likely a #2 neck which was the stock factory neck.

If you can measure neck heel width that will also help you narrow down the buiid year. 1997="2 13/64 inch butt width" and 1998 and up="2 1/4 inch width at body joint".

Hope this helps.

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:10 am

Thanks Craig!
But width is 2 1/4", so between 1998 - 2008.