Bass truss rod question

Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:47 am

This question is related to my 80s SB-1 that I recently acquired, but it could relate to any bass, I guess. In the G&L Owner's Manual, under
"Adjustment procedure for basses" and regarding truss rod adjustment, there is a sentence that reads "There must be at least 1/8 turn of truss rod nut for proper tension of truss rod". Can anyone explain to me what that means? I know the basics of how truss rods work, but I don't understand what this sentence means. From what I can see, that statement is only in there in the section on adjustment procedures for basses, not for guitars. Thanks. David

Re: Bass truss rod question

Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:43 am

Can't say that I'm an expert, but my read is that the nut must be tightened at least 1/8 turn from full loose otherwise the rod won't be at proper tension, could rattle, etc. Perhaps others with more experience will weigh in.

Re: Bass truss rod question

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:34 am

Truss rods get lots of players into trouble so proceed carefully when reading manuals. A truss rod will have to be under tension to be effective but wait and see if you need to add tension to a rod before doing so. If your bass neck is fine the way it is- don't change it for the sake of a manual instruction. I have seen bass necks that were back bowed and required no rod tension at all. If your bass neck is bowed and under a lot of tension (the rod is hard to tighten) try loosening the rod and letting the bass neck sit awhile top see if there is more bowing. Usually it will be obvious and the neck will bow right away but still take off the tension and see if tightening the rod makes no difference , you may need a rod shim or washer under the nut to take up some of the threads and give the nut more purchase or threads to work against to tighten the rod and straighten the neck. Be careful! Leave all of this to a trusted professional repairman if you are not experienced.

bassman Bill