Satin Neck is Getting Too Glossy

Thu May 17, 2018 5:26 am

I love satin-finished necks...no friction and nothing gets sticky even when playing in high humidity. My 4-year old Comanche is my #1 player, and unfortunately the satin neck is getting quite a gloss polished up on the back because it's been played so much. I've really noticed it this spring when the weather got more humid, my hand starts to drag on the neck after playing for a little while.

So is there anything I can do to the back of the neck finish to get it back back to how it felt when the guitar was new? I'm thinking maybe some super fine steel wool, or fine wet/dry sandpaper? I thought I'd ask here first though before attempting anything, as I don't want to mess it up, and I don't want to sand through!

Re: Satin Neck is Getting Too Glossy

Thu May 17, 2018 6:47 am

Try a Scotch Brite pad. I've read that gets good results. No personal experience.

Thu May 17, 2018 7:01 am

xg5a wrote:I love satin-finished necks...no friction and nothing gets sticky even when playing in high humidity. My 4-year old Comanche is my #1 player, and unfortunately the satin neck is getting quite a gloss polished up on the back because it's been played so much. I've really noticed it this spring when the weather got more humid, my hand starts to drag on the neck after playing for a little while.

So is there anything I can do to the back of the neck finish to get it back back to how it felt when the guitar was new? I'm thinking maybe some super fine steel wool, or fine wet/dry sandpaper? I thought I'd ask here first though before attempting anything, as I don't want to mess it up, and I don't want to sand through!

I sent your post to one of my contacts at the factory. Here is his reply:

Good Morning Craig,

Not an uncommon occurrence. I would recommend getting some 1200-1500 grit sandpaper or grey scotch-brite and lightly scuffing the affected area,
taking care not to sand too aggressively. Otherwise they may burn through the finish. I find that the 1200/1500 combo leaves a “silky” feel.

Too fine of steel wool may polish the neck more, but the user may alternatively try “00” and just take care to cover the pickups. However, I personally don’t
like using steel wool on an assembled guitar.

Hope this helps.

-Jaryd

Hope this helps.

Thu May 17, 2018 1:10 pm

Craig, thanks for getting this info! I'll give it a try and see how it goes... The silky feel is definitely what I'm after.

I recently got a Warmoth torrefied maple neck for one of my other guitars, and I have it unfinished but sanded out to 2000 grit and the feel is wonderful, so I'd like to get some approximation of that on my G&L.