Comanche Mod

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:53 am

First time poster here. Just got my G&L Comanche. It's heavy as can be but I'm in love. Great guitar.

I hope this question isn't answered somewhere else. If it is sorry for the redundancy. I'd like to make a few small mods and I'm hoping the considerable knowledge base here will help.

I've never been a fan of the volume so close to the pickup and strings. I've also never been a fan of blade switches. I have some leftover pickguard material, and I'm thinking about using stacked pots for the treb/bass sweep, and using the existing treb sweep position for the volume.

I'm also planning on replacing the blade switch with a freeway switch, which was on a Nashville tele I played and I loved it.

G&L purists aside, anyone have any bad experiences to speak of with the freeway switch? Anyone do any mods similar to this?

Thanks again!

-EllaMir-

Re: Comanche Mod

Wed May 09, 2018 2:31 am

EllaMir wrote:First time poster here. Just got my G&L Comanche. It's heavy as can be but I'm in love. Great guitar.

Mine's fairly heavy as well, but resonant and with good sustain.

I've never been a fan of the volume so close to the pickup and strings. I've also never been a fan of blade switches. I have some leftover pickguard material, and I'm thinking about using stacked pots for the treb/bass sweep, and using the existing treb sweep position for the volume.

The main issue I see is that the bass and treble pot are different values, so it might be a little hard to find a a dual concentric (stacked) pot that has the right values.

And Welcome!

Wed May 09, 2018 2:01 pm

cbm wrote:
EllaMir wrote:First time poster here. Just got my G&L Comanche. It's heavy as can be but I'm in love. Great guitar.

Mine's fairly heavy as well, but resonant and with good sustain.

The main issue I see is that the bass and treble pot are different values, so it might be a little hard to find a a dual concentric (stacked) pot that has the right values.

And Welcome!

Thank you!

Wed May 09, 2018 2:17 pm

In case you have not seen our wiring diagrams in the Gallery, here's the one for the Comanche:
Comanche Wiring Diagram and Picture Diagram.

And, also check this one out, if you want to go all out ;) : Wiring diagram for the Comanche VI and Comanche Studio VI.

Please do post before and after photos once you decide on the mods. (Hint: a great place to post them would be in The Project Page sub-forum).

Hope this helps.