Adjusting bridge height (are posts ok?)

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:31 pm

Hi,

I have a G&L Legacy (I think from around 2009 - I'm the first proper owner AFAIK). I've been trying to fix an issue with the thin e string fretting-out when bending on 15th fret (it was the only string that frets-out and only did it on the 15th fret - very specific issue!).
After doing a bit of research on this forum I decided it's probably an action issue (the action may be too low - bridge and/or saddle). I looked at the setup instructions that show the DFS should be 2/16" high and my bridge was noticeably lower so I adjusted the posts to raise the bridge. The bridge now sits at pretty close to 2/16" (actually 4/32" but that's the same right?) but it looks like the posts are now slightly set back (towards the tail-end of the guitar) in the holes of the DFS (i.e. not centred in the holes) - is this OK? It's hard to tell but in the pics I can find the posts *seem* to be centred in the hole.

BTW I still had the fretting-out isse after doing this but raised the saddle height for the thin string slightly and that fixed the problem.

Cheers,

Tim

Re: Adjusting bridge height (are posts ok?)

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:48 am

G'day...

I'm no expert and new here, but yeah... you are OK. All three of G&L's with vibrato's are like that. If you think about it, the string tension is pulling that knife edge into the "V" notch in the posts and because the posts are slightly smaller than the plate with the knife edge, the posts will sit back a little in the hole. I recently replaced the whole DFV on my '94 Legacy because the holes were oblong from years of hammering on the whammy bar! *LOL*