Simplest way to increase vibrato bar resistance?

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:52 pm

Sorry for the very simple question...

What is the easiest way to create some more tension in the action of the vibrato arm?
It's a little more play than I'd prefer coming from the factory.
I'm speaking about the up and down motion of the arm, not where the bar pushes in.

Re: Simplest way to increase vibrato bar resistance?

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Try stronger springs. Or, make sure you have all three installed.

Tom

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:34 pm

R_Geezy wrote:Sorry for the very simple question...

What is the easiest way to create some more tension in the action of the vibrato arm?
It's a little more play than I'd prefer coming from the factory.
I'm speaking about the up and down motion of the arm, not where the bar pushes in.

If you only have two springs, add a third one. If you already have three, then try some heavier tensioned springs.
Another less easy option would be to change the stock spring claw with an aftermarket spring claw with mounts for four springs
and add a fourth spring.

Hope this helps.

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:28 pm

Tightening the claw retainer screws will increase the tension on the arm.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:44 am

Elwood wrote:

You totally beat me to this...

Edit: Adding all that follows for clarity...

If you add or remove a spring to an already "balanced" tremolo, or even if you change the string gauge - it will change the amount of tension on the tremolo. When that happens, the floating bridge may no longer be parallel to the guitar's face. If the tension is too high, it'll pull the back of the bridge down towards the guitar, if the tension is too low, the strings will pull the back of the bridge up and away from the guitar.

That being the case, If you want the tension to feel a little more stiff - you put on the "third" spring, then adjust the claw screws (see image) until the bridge is floating parallel to the body. Loosening the screws raises the tail away from the body, tightening the screws brings the tail down.

If you already have three springs, and still find the tension to springy for your tastes, you may consider buying a heavier set of springs from from your local Guitar shop.

When and if you ever get a setup, it's a good practice to let your setup guy know how you like your tremolo set up, and what gauge strings you intend to use. He'll dial in the tremolo claw when he does the setup.
Last edited by DanDoulogos on Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:20 pm

DanDoulogos wrote:
Elwood wrote:

You totally beat me to this...

However, you want to make sure that the bridge plate remains level with the body, so too much tension could change that.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:32 am

Hi R-Geezy, Thats a good question,
I think physics says there's only 2 ways to increase the whammy force versus the bridge movement needed for any given note range change on the DFV bridge. That is by either increasing the string size for a given set of claw springs, or by changing the claw spring tension per spring for a particular string size. To increase the whammy tension you would need to go from 3 weak springs to 3 stronger springs, maybe only one stronger spring, or even only 2 springs of higher tension. If you wanted even more whammy tension you could go to 1 very strong spring or 2 or 3 strong springs if needed. it would be up to your spring selection choice available to you to find the combination that satisfies your desired feel of the whammy bar. Of course the adjustment of the claw tension with one very strong spring or 3 reasonably strong springs is more sensitive than the adjustment with 3 soft springs to maintain that most important level bridge position. Though if using one spring, if that provides the right feel, always use the center position to ensure near equal pivot loading. I might be wrong but thats how i think it works and would like to hear others thoughts on this too,,
Cheers
G

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:44 am

geoff douglas wrote:Hi R-Geezy, Thats a good question,
I think physics says there's only 2 ways to increase the whammy force versus the bridge movement needed for any given note range change on the DFV bridge. That is by either increasing the string size for a given set of claw springs, or by changing the claw spring tension per spring for a particular string size. To increase the whammy tension you would need to go from 3 weak springs to 3 stronger springs, maybe only one stronger spring, or even only 2 springs of higher tension. If you wanted even more whammy tension you could go to 1 very strong spring or 2 or 3 strong springs if needed. it would be up to your spring selection choice available to you to find the combination that satisfies your desired feel of the whammy bar. Of course the adjustment of the claw tension with one very strong spring or 3 reasonably strong springs is more sensitive than the adjustment with 3 soft springs to maintain that most important level bridge position. Though if using one spring, if that provides the right feel, always use the center position to ensure near equal pivot loading. I might be wrong but thats how i think it works and would like to hear others thoughts on this too,,
Cheers
G

Yes, you and Dan say pretty much the same thing. Use the springs that provide the tension you like and use the claw screws to adjust the bridge level to the body. This is true no matter how many springs you use.

Tom