Pikcup change - G&L Asat classic s semi-hollow

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:59 pm

It's a USA G&L Asat classic s semi-hollow with small mfd pickups. It's a beautiful guitar and feels great. This style has the strat 3 (nashville) pickup configuration. The existing mfd squeals and feedsback and just isn't giving me the tone I want.

Could use some help in how to wire this up with an SD little 59 in the bridge. There's a push/pull pot to add the neck pickup plus the 5 position strat switch. I'd like to see if I can have the option to run the Little 59 in series or parallel. My main axe is a Suhr Alt T Pro with Thornbuckers and I want to see if I can get in the same territory with the Asat.

How would you wire it up?

Re: Pikcup change - G&L Asat classic s semi-hollow

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:30 pm

jaded_musician wrote:It's a USA G&L Asat classic s semi-hollow with small mfd pickups. It's a beautiful guitar and feels great. This style has the strat 3 (nashville) pickup configuration. The existing mfd squeals and feedsback and just isn't giving me the tone I want.

Could use some help in how to wire this up with an SD little 59 in the bridge. There's a push/pull pot to add the neck pickup plus the 5 position strat switch. I'd like to see if I can have the option to run the Little 59 in series or parallel. My main axe is a Suhr Alt T Pro with Thornbuckers and I want to see if I can get in the same territory with the Asat.

How would you wire it up?

Before changing out any of the existing pickups, you might see these posts on fixing the squealing:
How do I fix MFD bridge pickup squealing problem?
My MFD went massively microphonic! Suggestions?
squealinga and feedback

Hope this helps.

Re: Pikcup change - G&L Asat classic s semi-hollow

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:52 pm

I’ve been down that road before with another set of mfd pups and finally gave up on it. Plus the more compressed humbucker tone is more what I’m shooting for.