ASAT Neck on a Partscaster?

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Been ages since I've been here (anyone remember me?!) so I hope you don't mind that the cobwebs have robbed me of what I once knew.

I have a Partscaster with a neck that's just too chunky for me, and I also happen to have a wonderful ASAT neck that I acquired almost a decade ago that I'd love to use. I know there are issues with interchangability, what I don't remember is whether or not they can be overcome? If I knew someone with the skill could I modify the neck pocket could I use the ASAT neck, or do I have it backward - that the ASAT neck would need a shallower pocket? Inquiring minds want to be reminded.

Thanks in advance for not yelling at the guy who organized the GbLLE project but decided not to use the search feature.

Re: ASAT Neck on a Partscaster?

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:40 pm

Hi Jake,
(This feels like the first scene from the BluesBrothers)

The fender necks with 22 frets have the last fret in a bit of an overhang, so the neck pocket is a bit shorter.
The G&L neck is solid under the 22nd fret, so to make a fender spec pocket to work with a G&L neck,
you have to extend the neck pocket route. The depth will be in the ball park, from there you'll have to consider shims,
or further routing to make it sweeter.

Elwood

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:10 am

Belated thanks for the reply, Elwood. Now where's the bluesmobile?! LOL

Related question, will a neck from an Amercian made ASAT Special fit on a Tribute ASAT Classic?

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:19 pm

Jake wrote:Belated thanks for the reply, Elwood. Now where's the bluesmobile?! LOL

Related question, will a neck from an Amercian made ASAT Special fit on a Tribute ASAT Classic?

See: http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?p=8351#p8351, note that this will apply to a US ASAT neck onto a Tribute ASAT.

Hope this helps.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Thanks. So it's basically, "Yes, it should fit, but YMMV". At least it doesn't have the neck pocket issues that you'd have with a Fender body.