View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 What are the recommended pup heights for a 2017 ASAT Classic 

Post What are the recommended pup heights for a 2017 ASAT Classic
I'm relatively new to electric guitars and have a newish ASAT. I've been able to lower the action considerably and now I would like to adjust the pup height to speck. I read that the optimum height is one nickel at the 1st string and two nickels for the base string but if I lower the base string all the way it bottoms out at one nickel. The action is significantly lower but it isn't remarkable low. The strings are 10-46.

For those who like to say adjust to taste, at this point, just about everyone is better than me and I would rather start with an experts preference than my uninformed novice wild guess.

This doesn't seem like the right place to post this but I couldn't find a better place. Please let me know if there is a better place, even if it is not a G&L forum.

Thanks!

Doug

Last edited by DugT on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:40 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: What are the recommended pup heights for a 2017 ASAT Tri
DugT wrote:
I'm relatively new to electric guitars and have a newish ASAT. I've been able to lower the action considerably and now I would like to adjust the pup height to speck. I read that the optimum height is one nickel at the 1st string and two nickels for the base string but if I lower the base string all the way it bottoms out at one nickel. The action is significantly lower but it isn't remarkable low. The strings are 10-46.

For those who like to say adjust to taste, at this point, just about everyone is better than me and I would rather start with an experts preference than my uninformed novice wild guess.

This doesn't seem like the right place to post this but I couldn't find a better place. Please let me know if there is a better place, even if it is not a G&L forum.

Thanks!

Doug

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3372.

Hope this helps.

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:59 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: What are the recommended pup heights for a 2017 ASAT Cla
Thanks, Craig.

For reference, the recommendation is, "I would suggest using 1/16" for the 1st string and 3/32" for the sixth string." My bridge pickup bottoms out at about 3/64" on both my 1st and 6th strings. That is 1/64" lower than is possible for my 1st string and 3/64" lower than is possible for my 6th string.

The pole pieces protrude from the body of the bridge pup 4/64". Should I lower them or is that possible? (I'm good with electronics and replaced all of the electronics in another electric guitar. I also know how to adjust the pole pieces in strat pickups.)
EDIT: I learned that it is almost impossible to adjust tele bridge pole pieces.

Is there a way to get more low adjustment out of the bridge pup? I'm surprised it doesn't meet spec. since I only need the pup to go 3/64 lower. maybe I could gouge out enough room for it. I could put a couple termites in there and leave them for a few hours.
Edit 2: After more research, now I'm wondering it the pups wires are beneath the pup and preventing it from going lower. It might be time to pull it out and inspect.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:07 pm

Doug, Did you buy this ASAT used from another player? Has he/she already set the pickups to their preference? How does the guitar sound now? Does it sound great? If so, you could leave the pickups setting alone for now.

If you want to start from factory specs, adjust the pole pieces down flush and then set to the factory specs that you already have. See how it sounds and then adjust from there to your preference.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:05 am
Site Admin

DugT wrote:
Thanks, Craig.

For reference, the recommendation is, "I would suggest using 1/16" for the 1st string and 3/32" for the sixth string." My bridge pickup bottoms out at about 3/64" on both my 1st and 6th strings. That is 1/64" lower than is possible for my 1st string and 3/64" lower than is possible for my 6th string.

The pole pieces protrude from the body of the bridge pup 4/64". Should I lower them or is that possible? (I'm good with electronics and replaced all of the electronics in another electric guitar. I also know how to adjust the pole pieces in strat pickups.)
EDIT: I learned that it is almost impossible to adjust tele bridge pole pieces.

Is there a way to get more low adjustment out of the bridge pup? I'm surprised it doesn't meet spec. since I only need the pup to go 3/64 lower. maybe I could gouge out enough room for it. I could put a couple termites in there and leave them for a few hours.
Edit 2: After more research, now I'm wondering it the pups wires are beneath the pup and preventing it from going lower. It might be time to pull it out and inspect.

Because you lowered the lowered the action, that will effect the amount you can lower the pickups from the strings. Did you use a neck shim to lower the action?
If so, you might want to remove the shim and setup the guitar back to factory specs and then play with raising/lowering the pickups.
For factory specs setup see: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with hardtail bridges.

The MFD pickups do have adjustable pole pieces and they can be raised/lowered, usually done to balance individual strings volume.
See: Can you tell me which allen wrenches I need for my G&L?.

Hope this helps.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:51 am
Profile WWW

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the good news about the adjustable pole pieces. Those are well designed pups.

I only used the bridge saddles to lower the adjustment.

Maybe while you were writing your email I started a new thread about the real cause of my problem. It seems to me the bridge holes are slightly out of alignment with the pup pocket hole. I started a new thread because I think it is a different topic.

dt

Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:23 pm
Site Admin

DugT wrote:
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the good news about the adjustable pole pieces. Those are well designed pups.

I only used the bridge saddles to lower the adjustment.

Maybe while you were writing your email I started a new thread about the real cause of my problem. It seems to me the bridge holes are slightly out of alignment with the pup pocket hole. I started a new thread because I think it is a different topic.

dt

Ok, I posted a reply to your new post.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]