View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 USA Asat nut 

Post USA Asat nut
Hello Everyone,

I have 2014 USA Asat that I bought new in November of this year. I've had it professionally set up by a luthier and it still doesn't sound quite right. Tonight the nut slipped out of the neck slot when I was cleaning the strings and fingerboard. Doesn't look like the nut it is broken from what I can see. Am I correct in assuming the dead sounding guitar is due to the nut not being glued into the nut slot on the neck?
Has anyone else had this happen? This is my 10th G&L, since '98, and I've never seen it before. In fact, this is the only G&L that I have every had any QC problems of any kind.
Comments? Ideas?

Steve

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Post Re: USA Asat nut
Plexiclone_ wrote:
Am I correct in assuming the dead sounding guitar is due to the nut not being glued into the nut slot on the neck?

It's possible, any extraneous vibrations steals energy from the strings.

Here's a quote from Richard Stanley on DinosaurRockGuitar that skims the subject.
(I won't link to the site since it's 'not secure')

"DRG: And you don't glue the nut in.

Stanley: No, hardly ever. The only time it's ever necessary is on Fender style plank pegheads, because even with string trees, frequently there's not enough pressure on the nut to keep it in place like there is on a raked peghead. You take a Les Paul, you'd need a hammer to move the nut once the strings are on it. But on a a plank peghead, I just tack it in place with three tiny dots of CA (super glue). This is completely unnecessary on any guitar with a raked peghead.
"

I'd use three drops of super glue and see if it sounds better.
fingers crossed,
Elwood

Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:02 am

Thanks Elwood. I'll get at it today.
Steve

Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:13 am

Used some wood glue after talking to a luthier. Did the trick. Asat sounds alive now.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Sweet!
Thanks for reporting back, I'm sure at some point that'll help another player.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:46 pm

You're welcome. Hope it helps someone down the road. I'm going to take it to Dave's Guitar, who is a G&L premier dealer, this Saturday. It's still not quite where I want it to be but it's close. I picked up a Tribute Blues Boy semi-hollow recently and the bridge is set up completely differently. Dropped it off at the local luthier yesterday for a set up.
Thanks for your help Elwood.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]