Stripped hex screw for saddle lock bridge -- advice?

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:30 pm

Hi, one of the hex sockets for the saddle height adjustment is stripped. It's on an '83 SC-2, and the G&L site currently recommends replacing the entire bridge assembly, as the modern saddles are too wide for the old bridge. Anyone know where I can get a replacement saddle? Or a way to extract and replace the height adjustment screws?

Thanks

Re: Stripped hex screw for saddle lock bridge -- advice?

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:17 pm

I've done the same thing before. Extraction is easy during a string change or with the string loosened all the way. Just back out the locking set screw beside the high E saddle, and then back the intonation screw out of the affected saddle so that it can be removed from the bridge. You should be able to remove the stripped height adjustment screw from underneath with your fingers or a set of pliers. If you don't want to replace the screw, you could probably adjust it from below with a bit of trial and error. That's what I've done with a stripped height adjuster on an F-100.

I am not sure what the original spec was for those screws, other than guessing they would not have been metric. If anybody here knows the spec, I would love to hear it.

Ken

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:25 pm

0.05 inch is what i use on my 80's G&L's for the saddle height adjustment.
it's the smallest allen wrench from stew-mac in the English set

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:24 am

I was able to use a plier to back out the screws, worked some WD-40 into the saddle and stuffed a small wire brush down in there. The screws still don't want to move past a position, so I think the threads on the inside of the saddle are stripped. :-(

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:59 am

One trick, and you're probably past this point, is to use crazy glue to attach the hex key to whatever end is protruding. Depending on how good a bond you get, you may be able to unscrew it /pull it out that way.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:30 pm

scelerat wrote:I was able to use a plier to back out the screws, worked some WD-40 into the saddle and stuffed a small wire brush down in there. The screws still don't want to move past a position, so I think the threads on the inside of the saddle are stripped. :-(

If you have enough to grab onto, try a pair of needle nose vice grips to get it turned past the tough spot. Then, go the hardware store with the old set screw, match the pitch and diameter and also get a small tap set if you don't have one. Run a tap through the saddle to clean up or recut the treads and use your new set screw. Ace Hardware (if they exist near you) has most every imaginable screw. If you need to use a modern one, which is larger, then just tap the saddle out to the larger size.