View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 "Unmarked" Legacy pickups 

Post "Unmarked" Legacy pickups
All,

All my G&Ls have MFD pickups. I've been lusting after an ASAT Classic S alnico, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. I purchased a set of Legacy pickups from Craigslist. (The seller says he swapped them out of his 2007 Legacy for MFD pickups.) The pickup covers have G&L embossed on them, but the pickups themselves have no markings. Is this normal? I suppose it's possible that the pickups came from a Squire Strat. How will I be able to tell?

TIA,

Mike

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:15 pm

Post Re: "Unmarked" Legacy pickups
Addendum: The pickups covers are "cream". The guitar I'm putting the pickups into (an ASAT III) have white covers. I asked my tech to put the MFD covers on the alnico pickups. They look like they'll fit, except that the MFD holes are bigger than the alnico holes. In the event that I have to buy new white pickup covers, will standard Strat pickup covers fit over the G&L alnico pickups? G&L's online store sells legacy covers, but I can't tell from the photo if they have "G&L" embossed on them. Seeing as a single pickup cover from G&L's store is more expensive than an entire set on Amazon, I would only want to buy from G&L if theirs are embossed; otherwise, I would sooner buy from Amazon and save some money.

Any advice/

Thanks!

Mike

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:22 pm

themikeaustin wrote:
All,

All my G&Ls have MFD pickups. I've been lusting after an ASAT Classic S alnico, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. I purchased a set of Legacy pickups from Craigslist. (The seller says he swapped them out of his 2007 Legacy for MFD pickups.) The pickup covers have G&L embossed on them, but the pickups themselves have no markings. Is this normal? I suppose it's possible that the pickups came from a Squire Strat. How will I be able to tell?

TIA,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Check out the pics on the CLF-100 on my website. Do the pups look like the one pictured? AFAIK, there are no markings/sticker on the CLF-100 bobbin.

- Jos

Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:52 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

themikeaustin wrote:
Addendum: The pickups covers are "cream". The guitar I'm putting the pickups into (an ASAT III) have white covers. I asked my tech to put the MFD covers on the alnico pickups. They look like they'll fit, except that the MFD holes are bigger than the alnico holes. In the event that I have to buy new white pickup covers, will standard Strat pickup covers fit over the G&L alnico pickups? G&L's online store sells legacy covers, but I can't tell from the photo if they have "G&L" embossed on them. Seeing as a single pickup cover from G&L's store is more expensive than an entire set on Amazon, I would only want to buy from G&L if theirs are embossed; otherwise, I would sooner buy from Amazon and save some money.

Any advice/

Thanks!

Mike

The photo of the covers on the On-Line store have the G&L logo but the text says:

Quote:
Pickup cover for Legacy and other models which use G&L CLF-100 Alnico V single coils. Available in White, Black and Mint. Sorry, Creme is no longer available. Each cover sold separately. Picture may not represent actual product.

AFAIK, standard Fender covers will work on the CLF-100 pickups.
I have emailed a couple of contacts at the Factory and should hear from them in a day or two.
I also asked them about the this recent note added to the CLF-100 pickups in the store:
Quote:
**Note** When ordering a Neck or Bridge pickup, please specify which position you need because the Bridge pickup does have more winds than the Neck.

In the past, these Alnico pickups were all wound with 42 gauge wire and 8.2K turns.

Stay tuned.

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Craig wrote:
themikeaustin wrote:

Any advice/

Thanks!

Mike

The photo of the covers on the On-Line store have the G&L logo but the text says:

Quote:
Pickup cover for Legacy and other models which use G&L CLF-100 Alnico V single coils. Available in White, Black and Mint. Sorry, Creme is no longer available. Each cover sold separately. Picture may not represent actual product.

AFAIK, standard Fender covers will work on the CLF-100 pickups.
I have emailed a couple of contacts at the Factory and should hear from them in a day or two.
I also asked them about the this recent note added to the CLF-100 pickups in the store:
Quote:
**Note** When ordering a Neck or Bridge pickup, please specify which position you need because the Bridge pickup does have more winds than the Neck.

In the past, these Alnico pickups were all wound with 42 gauge wire and 8.2K turns.

Stay tuned.

I heard back from Spencer today:

Quote:
Hi Craig,

I’ll have to dig in to this one a bit as I don’t recall the exact spec changes. The bridge pickup has a different color wire than the others. The usual convention here is black/white for neck, red/yellow for middle, and blue/yellow I think for the bridge. I’ll check tomorrow with the pickup department and make sure.

We had to take the Logo off the CLF 100 pickups due to worn out tooling. So all G&L CLF 100 pickups have no logo on them now. We are still making the pickups here for the tribute Legacy. As mentioned below, the Musician’s Friend special models have pickups made to our spec in Indonesia to be able to hit a lower price point.

Spencer

So, all G&L CLF 100 pickups will no longer have the logo on the covers.

I will followup with the spec winding changes as soon as I hear back from Spencer.

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]