Saddle Lock Bridge and grub screw

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:16 am

I recently acquired a G&L Tribute ASAT Special.

Great guitar, though the fret work was shocking for a new guitar. Some frets were so high I could fit my nail underneath!!!!

Anyway, I hammered the frets in, gave it a full fret level and now it plays fantastic.

So...... as I did the work, I loosened the grub screw.
I hammered the frets back in, and dis the fret level 3 o 4 weeks later. During that time, I played the guitar...... and the grub screw disappeared......

I managed to buy some replacements. My worry is about whether there would have been a nylon bushing between the screw and the 1st saddle?

Re: Saddle Lock Bridge and grub screw

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:17 am

welcome, yup those little screws will work their way out from time to time.
they are the same for the saddle lock bridge as they are for the DFV vibrato arm.
I picked up a little bag of the screws and nylon bushings from here:
https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/ ... -screw-set

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:14 am

Well....

After buying the wrong M3 4mm long grub screws as recommended on this forum), I decided to buy the G&L ones. Pretty expensive, by then I can measure them and make sure what exact size they are.

My main concern is whether that bushing helps keep the grub screw in place better than if it isn't there.

In any case, I will measure the G&L, order non G&L later amd will let you kmow what size they are.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:16 am

Les Paul lover wrote:Well....

After buying the wrong M3 4mm long grub screws as recommended on this forum), I decided to buy the G&L ones. Pretty expensive, by then I can measure them and make sure what exact size they are.

My main concern is whether that bushing helps keep the grub screw in place better than if it isn't there.

In any case, I will measure the G&L, order non G&L later amd will let you kmow what size they are.

Yes you do want to have the nylon bushing.

I searched our site and don't find a recommendation of a "M3" screw. :searching:
Can you post the link to that post, so I can post a correction?

I did find a couple of posts, which mention using an "M4" screw. Here are the links:
Tremelo arm set screw.
Vibrato arm set screw.

Since you have ordered them from the G&L On-Line Store, you will be getting the necessary nylon bushings, too.
So, you should be all set.

:ugeek:

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:21 am

I found the erroneous measurements there - in the last post:

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic ... 374#p44374

That 3mm diameter woukd be a M3 grub screw - that's not correct. I think it should be M4, but i will confirm that later.

Craig, what function does that bushing fulfil?

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:17 am

Les Paul lover wrote:I found the erroneous measurements there - in the last post:

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic ... 374#p44374

That 3mm diameter woukd be a M3 grub screw - that's not correct. I think it should be M4, but i will confirm that later.

Craig, what function does that bushing fulfil?

Okay, so I got out my digital calipers and measured my ASAT Deluxe Carved-Top P90's Saddle-Lock set screw.
Here are the readings:
Diameter=3.71mm
Length=3.11mm

I don't know whether this is an M3 or M4 size screw. :confused0007:

While I had the set screw out, I confirmed that there is a nylon bushing inside the screw hole.

I believe the nylon bushing provides a soft cushion between the set screw and the side of the bridge saddle.
If the bushing is not used, the set screw tip can dig into the side of the saddle when screwed into it. This could
cause some metal shavings to flake off, which is not a good thing to happen.
And, in addition for the DF Trem, the bushing allows you to remove the trem bar out of the socket without loosening the set screw.
See: G&L Saddle-Lock bridge and G&L's DF Vibrato System.

Hope this helps.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:50 pm

We will see.

I will measure it too when they arrive. No digital calipers here, but I'll see what corresponds best.

What's funny (And somewhat frustrating) is that I think I can recall personally throwing that bushing in the bin.

I picked up the small rounded bit of white plastic, and couldn't see that it belonged to any of my kids toys. Considering the quantity of crap they seem to get in the house, I didn't hesitate long to throw it away.

Oh the irony...... it belonged to one of my own toys...... :D

The grub screw has totally legged it though. No idea where that went.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:06 pm

Les Paul lover wrote:We will see.

I will measure it too when they arrive. No digital calipers here, but I'll see what corresponds best.

What's funny (And somewhat frustrating) is that I think I can recall personally throwing that bushing in the bin.

I picked up the small rounded bit of white plastic, and couldn't see that it belonged to any of my kids toys. Considering the quantity of crap they seem to get in the house, I didn't hesitate long to throw it away.

Oh the irony...... it belonged to one of my own toys...... :D

The grub screw has totally legged it though. No idea where that went.

They are set loose from the factory. When I played my first Saddle Lock equipped guitar out of the box (because you can), mine vibrated loose and also was lost to the dust bunny gods. When I ordered a new one from G&L, I bought a baggy of screws and bushings, as to never go without again. I bought some for the DV vibrato arm for my other guitars as well. Live and learn.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:33 pm

I loosened my own.
It was locked, but my ASAT Special Tribute had terrible fret work (lots of raised frets, some i could fit my nail between the fret and the fret board!!!!), so i and to hammer the frets back in, loosen the grub screw adjust action (it was sky high on the plain strings side to prevent notes fretting out against the high frets) / intonation.

Then I realised that wasn't enough and that I would need to give it a fret level, and I forgot to lock the saddles. I still played it a little bit in the meantime, and lost the grub screw as a result.

I've now levelled the guitar and it plays superbly - missing the grub screw though.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:42 pm

I've received the new grub screw and "bushing" from G&L.

Pretty fast turn around.

I've measured the "bushing" and the grub screw:

Bushing: 2mm length , 3mm diameter
We can call it bushing pretty loosely - it really is just a small cut off of round plastic stick.

Grub screw: 3mm length, just under 4mm diameter - I suspect that the 3.7mm as measured by Craig is spot on. It's length is a bit short though I thought.

So I set out to order some M4 grub screw 5mm long instead. They arrive today and are a perfect fit. I much prefer these in terms of length, and find them a perfect fit as replacement grub screw for my G&L saddle lock bridge.

The "bushing" is nice to have too, however, any reasonably solid (not rock hard though, it does get compressed quite a bit) bit of plastic 2mm lomg amd 3mm diameter would do.

Whilst I've fitted a M4 grub screw that's 5mm long, the bridge would take a longer screw still. Defo 6mm. Perhaps even 7.

I hope this helps other G&L saddle lock bridge users.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Les Paul lover wrote:I've received the new grub screw and "bushing" from G&L.

Pretty fast turn around.

I've measured the "bushing" and the grub screw:

Bushing: 2mm length , 3mm diameter
We can call it bushing pretty loosely - it really is just a small cut off of round plastic stick.

Grub screw: 3mm length, just under 4mm diameter - I suspect that the 3.7mm as measured by Craig is spot on. It's length is a bit short though I thought.

So I set out to order some M4 grub screw 5mm long instead. They arrive today and are a perfect fit. I much prefer these in terms of length, and find them a perfect fit as replacement grub screw for my G&L saddle lock bridge.

The "bushing" is nice to have too, however, any reasonably solid (not rock hard though, it does get compressed quite a bit) bit of plastic 2mm lomg amd 3mm diameter would do.

Whilst I've fitted a M4 grub screw that's 5mm long, the bridge would take a longer screw still. Defo 6mm. Perhaps even 7.

I hope this helps other G&L saddle lock bridge users.

Thanks for confirming that it is an M4 screw that's 3mm long and that other lengths will work as well.
I have added this thread to our post in G&L Knowledgebase.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:26 am

Thanks Craig. I posted a correction there as well.