View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 G&L Tribute Legacy - No logo on pups? 

Post G&L Tribute Legacy - No logo on pups?
Hi all,

I recently bought a tribute legacy online and when it arrived i noticed that the pickup covers have no logo on them, every picture I've seen has shown them with logos. Has something changed with the newer (Indonesian) tributes or have i been shipped one with swapped out pickups?

It was bought as new so i'm a bit worried. I have searched around the internet but have managed to find nothing about pickup changes.

It was aparently made in jan 2017.

Thanks in advance.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:13 am

Post Re: G&L Tribute Legacy - No logo on pups?
Syaodzir wrote:
Hi all,

I recently bought a tribute legacy online and when it arrived i noticed that the pickup covers have no logo on them, every picture I've seen has shown them with logos. Has something changed with the newer (Indonesian) tributes or have i been shipped one with swapped out pickups?

It was bought as new so i'm a bit worried. I have searched around the internet but have managed to find nothing about pickup changes.

Thanks in advance.

When in doubt, you can email G&L (repairs@glguitars.com) to ask. I was about to say that my Tribute Legacy, (made in Indonesia) didn't have logos on them, but I looked closely, and they do.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:07 pm

I know the Guitar Center/Musician's Friend exclusive models do not use USA pickups. The pickups are made in Indonesia to G&L specs. My son got the SSH Mahogany Legacy tribute in clear red with black headstock. He ordered it from Guitar Center and we picked it up at our local GC location. The pickups on his has no G&L logo but it is an authentic Tribute model. I compared his Tribute to my USA Legacy and the single coil pickups sounded nearly identical.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Here are the GC/MF models that will not have the G&L logo on the pickups.

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic ... 12&t=12946

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Thanks guys, I've emailed g&l repairs, I'll let you know what they say. It's a left handed model which are very difficult to get here in scotland. I had to order it from germany and paid far to much for it compared to what you pay in the US. Really don't want to pay so much for inferior pickups :(

Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:01 am
Site Admin

Syaodzir wrote:
Thanks guys, I've emailed g&l repairs, I'll let you know what they say. It's a left handed model which are very difficult to get here in scotland. I had to order it from germany and paid far to much for it compared to what you pay in the US. Really don't want to pay so much for inferior pickups :(

I have sent your post to a couple of contacts at G&L. Once I hear back I will post their replies.

Please post some clear closeup photos of the pickups. Since the pickup covers are white on your Lefty Tribute Legacy (with Blueburst finish, right?), it can be difficult to see
the G&L logo embossed on the covers.

Also, can you get the DC-R readings (See: Measuring Pickup DC-R)?
They should measure approximately 6.2K - 7.15K. See: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Looking forward to seeing your photos.

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:12 am
Profile WWW

Craig wrote:
I have sent your post to a couple of contacts at G&L. Once I hear back I will post their replies.

Please post some clear closeup photos of the pickups. Since the pickup covers are white on your Lefty Tribute Legacy (with Blueburst finish, right?), it can be difficult to see

They should measure approximately 6.2K - 7.15K. See: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Yesb that's right, the blue burst.

I went out and bought a multimeter but i'm new to that kind of thing and the only readings i could get were in the 1.4 - 1.6 range on each pickup. I followed the guide you posted but i guess I must be doing something wrong :(

I also noticed that the volume control rotates in the opposite direction from the tone controls (and the opposite direction from my yamaha pac 112JL). They are all however right handed knobs.

Here is a few pictures showing pickups and machine heads with the factory tag that came with it, I've also included one of the extremely badly cut nut (causes harmonic ringing in open g and to a lesser extent open b).

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Oops my bad, I had things confused (not enough sleep, that's my excuse anyway). All pots turn the same way. They are all right handed knobs though.
I retested resistance and got figures of

5.8, 5.8, 6.6 (neck) so they seem a bit out of the ball park?

Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:44 pm
Site Admin

Syaodzir wrote:
Oops my bad, I had things confused (not enough sleep, that's my excuse anyway). All pots turn the same way. They are all right handed knobs though.

Left-handed G&L's are all wired with standard right hand pots and knobs.

I can see that it was built in January of this year. Tell us more about this purchase: did you buy it new from a G&L distributor or was it sold as used?

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:33 pm
Profile WWW

Craig wrote:
Syaodzir wrote:

Left-handed G&L's are all wired with standard right hand pots and knobs.

I can see that it was built in January of this year. Tell us more about this purchase: did you buy it new from a G&L distributor or was it sold as used?

It was bought as new from a large German retailer at the end of sept, it arrived last wed. They have a good reputation so i'm a bit dissapointed in the quality. I've sent them these photos as well as a few more. Hopefully I should get a refund or replacement. :(

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:25 pm

I thought there was a thread about this subject before and I thought there were example of both with and without that were known true G&Ls. Anyone else recall this?

Dan

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:40 am

This is the thread I was thinking of. Look toward the end. Brand new nitro run without the logo on the covers, and some other examples.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13357&hilit=G%26amp%3BL+Logo

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:47 am

That nut looks like it was cut with the saw on a Swiss Army Knife. You should definitely get that fixed for free.

Tom

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:59 am

I recieved a reply from G&L repairs (bbesound/glguitars)
Quote:
Depending on which Legacy you bought it might have the Alnicos made overseas, these mostly pertain to 2 models from Guitar Center/Musicians friend. If you didn’t buy them from those 2 dealers then the pickups are definitely USA made but without the logo on the pickup cover.

So the pickup probably are the usa ones. Still, the bridge and middle resistance still seems a little low?

Still waiting for a reply from the seller, i refuse to accept it with such poor quality at the nut and truss rod cavity (it looks like someone has damaged it adjusting the rod).

Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciated.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:26 pm

Syaodzir wrote:
Quote:
Depending on which Legacy you bought it might have the Alnicos made overseas, these mostly pertain to 2 models from Guitar Center/Musicians friend. If you didn’t buy them from those 2 dealers then the pickups are definitely USA made but without the logo on the pickup cover.

So the pickup probably are the usa ones. Still, the bridge and middle resistance still seems a little low?

Still waiting for a reply from the seller, i refuse to accept it with such poor quality at the nut and truss rod cavity (it looks like someone has damaged it adjusting the rod).

Yes, it does look like it suffered from a hack job setup! :o

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:47 am
Profile WWW

Yeah i think it was set up by freddy kruger...

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:03 am

I'm afraid to suggest it, but goo-gone or some other citrus oil based cleaner should break the adhesive down on the sticker without ruining the finish. Anyone else want to weigh in on that before he takes this project on?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:46 am
Profile WWW

FZTNT wrote:
That nut looks like it was cut with the saw on a Swiss Army Knife. You should definitely get that fixed for free.

Tom

Ah, so I am not the only one who was halted in mid perusal by the number someone did on that nut.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:12 am
Profile WWW

Well i recieved a replacement checked and setup by thier proffessionals. Not impressive.

The nut, although no longer ringing in open position is really poor, wedge v shape cuts, perfect for snagging strings and causing tuning stability issues. Fret works so bad you get a really nice scratchy feel when you bend the strings, there are a lot of scratches/dents within the frets, dark marks on the headstock that may have come from a guitar wall hanger or simmilar and a serial number older that the previous one whe it was supposed to come from new stock( their web page was constantly changing from preorder, available, due back ... etc while i waited for them to setup a replacent, it's also odd that thier stock should rise and fall so much in one month for a LEFT HANDED G&L guitar). With the fret work, older serial number and dark graze marks I have come to the conclusion that they have given me an ex demo and filed the frets to digiuse signs of uage. This may be wrong but i am not getting satisfactory answers from them. Best of all they tell me "The quality of the replacement you have received is within the standarts of this price range guitar". Laugable, i've seen better nuts on £100 stagg guitars.

If your a lefty, avoid tribute legacy guitars through online purchase.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:05 am

They are full of crap if they dismiss your issues as being typical of a guitar in this price range. I would simply return it as defective and either ask for an entirely new guitar or look elsewhere for a replacement. G&L stands behind their products and would not let this go out the way it looks. Get your money back or get a new guitar. These guys in Germany appear to be pulling a fast one on you. Contact USA customer support and they should make this right. Cutting nuts is not brain surgery and if they can't get that right there's no telling what else they did to that guitar.

Just my tuppence...

Tom

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:44 pm
Site Admin

Syaodzir wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Syaodzir wrote:
Quote:

Craig wrote:
Syaodzir wrote:

I heard back from Spencer today:

Quote:
Hi Craig,

I’ll have to dig in to this one a bit as I don’t recall the exact spec changes. The bridge pickup has a different color wire than the others. The usual convention here is black/white for neck, red/yellow for middle, and blue/yellow I think for the bridge. I’ll check tomorrow with the pickup department and make sure.

We had to take the Logo off the CLF 100 pickups due to worn out tooling. So all G&L CLF 100 pickups have no logo on them now. We are still making the pickups here for the tribute Legacy. As mentioned below, the Musician’s Friend special models have pickups made to our spec in Indonesia to be able to hit a lower price point.

Spencer

So, all G&L CLF 100 pickups will no longer have the logo on the covers.

I had also asked Spencer about this:
Some more questions: When did the bridge pickup change to extra windings? And, what is the wind count?
I saw this note in the On-Line store:
Quote:
**Note** When ordering a Neck or Bridge pickup, please specify which position you need because the Bridge pickup does have more winds than the Neck.

I will followup with the spec winding changes as soon as I hear back from Spencer.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]