View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 WAY too much lows on an S-500 

Post WAY too much lows on an S-500
So I've changed my pups to humbuckers and the lows are just too much for me. Even with all the bass rolled off it's still incredibly bassy.

I know the PTB system has it's tricks, so I'm wondering if there is any cap that I could add/take out to try to reduce the lows a little? Maybe changing the pot for a 500K one?

Looking forward to your knowledge :)

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:46 am

Post Re: WAY too much lows on an S-500
Further clarification:

I need nothing to "add" bottom end to the pups. But I do want to keep the PTB system which I love.

Also, I noted the cap on the treble pot which I'm assuming works as a treble bleed type thing?

Thanks!

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:52 am
Site Admin

nachoharriague wrote:
So I've changed my pups to humbuckers and the lows are just too much for me. Even with all the bass rolled off it's still incredibly bassy.

I know the PTB system has it's tricks, so I'm wondering if there is any cap that I could add/take out to try to reduce the lows a little? Maybe changing the pot for a 500K one?

Looking forward to your knowledge :)

How many and what kind of humbuckers did you install?
Did you keep the stock S-500 wiring and did you convert the expander switch to a coil splitter or keep it as an expander function?

Can you post some photos of your current wiring?

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:12 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the quick reply Craig.

I installed DP187 Cruiser Bridge in the neck and middle and a Tone Zone S in the bridge.

So far I've kept the stock wiring so it's still an expander although I'm considering the coil split. Given the nature of the pups (pretty "stratty") I might just keep the expander.

I don't have a picture right now, seem to have lost the ones from when I made the changes. If the pictures are a must-have I'll just revive the topic in a few weeks when I re-string the guitar :mrgreen:

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:28 pm
Site Admin

nachoharriague wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply Craig.

I installed DP187 Cruiser Bridge in the neck and middle and a Tone Zone S in the bridge.

So far I've kept the stock wiring so it's still an expander although I'm considering the coil split. Given the nature of the pups (pretty "stratty") I might just keep the expander.

I don't have a picture right now, seem to have lost the ones from when I made the changes. If the pictures are a must-have I'll just revive the topic in a few weeks when I re-string the guitar :mrgreen:

I ran your posts by Paul Gagon and here's what he says:

Quote:
Hi Craig,

One thing that comes to mind is that there was a time when a .001 microfarad loading capacitor was soldered across the output of the MFD pickups to help warm them up a bit. It was either soldered across the Volume pot or across the bass pot. When on the bass pot you would see two capacitors. A .0022 (Which is the bass roll off cap) and the .001 (Which is the pickup loading cap). The .001 microfarads cap is the one that would need to be removed as it would really darken any non MFD pickup. Another thing would be to reduce the value of the bass roll off capacitor from .0022 microfarads to .001 microfarads. That would help pull out more bass frequencies.

Hope that helps,
Paul

Here's the link to the S-500 schematic showing the caps:

S-500 Schematic Block Diagram.pdf

Hope this helps.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:40 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks a lot. Since we're at it, would you suggest changing the volume pot to a 500K one or would you say the sum of all this could make the guitar excessively bright?

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:45 am
Site Admin

nachoharriague wrote:
Thanks a lot. Since we're at it, would you suggest changing the volume pot to a 500K one or would you say the sum of all this could make the guitar excessively bright?

Here is Paul's reply:
Quote:
It would be best to keep all the control values as is, however, no harm in trying a 500K volume control and see if you like it better.

Paul

Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:52 am
Profile WWW

Thanks to both. I'll share the results of my experiments :)

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:01 am

Craig wrote:
nachoharriague wrote:

Here is Paul's reply:
Quote:
It would be best to keep all the control values as is, however, no harm in trying a 500K volume control and see if you like it better.

Paul

All done. Love how it's playing now. The bass is still prominent, but that's probably just because of the pups and the fact that it was thought out for MFDs. Not sure how to upload pictures, but happy to share how it's now wired and what I've changed.

Thanks a lot!

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]