View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Disinfecting guitar after ringworm infection? 

Post Disinfecting guitar after ringworm infection?
Weird question but I'm hoping someone can help me (apologies is this is not the right forum. I couldn't find anywhere else to post). I've been fighting a ringworm infection on my left index finger for the past 6 weeks (used Tinactin and took pills for 45 days, doctor said I'm clear * knock on wood*). The ringworm spores supposedly exist in the environment anyways but if the skin around the infected area flakes, it can contaminate surfaces/objects, people, etc.

I know I played my guitar a few days prior to getting properly diagnosed and my skin flaked around the fretboard. I'm wondering how do I properly clean/disinfect/sanitize the guitar so I don't get reinfected? Many websites say to use bleach on surfaces and to throw away anything that can't be thoroughly cleaned or washed. Sites say bleach (1:10), hydrogen peroxide, leaving things out in the sun for days, or washing in hot water is the only ways to get rid of the fungus. It's a G&L Tribute Asat. I haven't been able to touch my guitar for 6 weeks now because I'm afraid of getting reinfected. Please don't tell me I am screwed and have to dispose of my guitar. Would it be easier to buy a new neck?

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Post Re: Disinfecting guitar after ringworm infection?
An anti-fungal wash consisting of half apple cider vinegar, half water is probably safe enough for cleaning your guitar. It evaporates quickly and does kill the spores. You could use a mix with distilled white vinegar also. Pretty much any vinegar (except Balsamic) in the mix should work.

Vinegar is safe for your finish, and kills the fungus and it's spores, so, it seems like a win to me.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:51 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]