Technical question about pots in modded S-500

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:56 pm

I have an S-500 which I've decided to do a few changes on:

1- I've switched the MFDs for Dimarzio Cruisers which I LOVE.
2- I've also added DPDT push/pull pots to wire the pups in series/paralel. It's really interesting how they sound more Strat-like.

Now, the issue I have is it's absolutely impossible to get a reverse audio taper 1M DPDT pot for the bass in the PTB system. Also, I've seen that in Legacy Specials, the pots remain the same even as they go from single coils to humbuckers which I was surprised by.

Using just audio taper 250K and 500K pots, what would be the best approximation to the Legacy Special wiring so that the guitar doesn't become exceedingly dark or bright?

Re: Technical question about pots in modded S-500

Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:39 pm

The correct reverse taper pot is I believe sold new on G&L's website - but not sure if shipping to Argentina is an issue.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:16 am

Danley wrote:The correct reverse taper pot is I believe sold new on G&L's website - but not sure if shipping to Argentina is an issue.

I have purchased small things from the G&L store, and they charged $5 shipping to Australia.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:09 am

Thanks. Ideally I'd want a 1Meg dpdt split shaft pot which I don't think exists. This way I would still wire the bridge pickup in series/parallel.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:24 am

I see- sorry, I missed that somehow in the original post. I have not experimented with this, but if you want to retain a passive bass control I believe Reverend guitars are wired with one using conventional pots. Should be able to find their schematic online.

As an alternative, it may be possible to disassemble a dpdt push-pull and add the innards from a 1 meg reverse taper pot- but again, I have no first-hand experience to make it work. Good luck.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:05 am

Thanks Danley. I can manage soldering, now dissembling pots it's beyond my capabilities. Also, I'm using the new CTS DPDT pots, so I'd have to destroy them to open them (they come in plastic casing).

I'll check out the reverend wiring!