View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 No push-pull pot on my ASAI III 

Post No push-pull pot on my ASAI III
All,

I recently received an ASAT III that I bought off eBay. It doesn't have a push-pull pot on the tone control. I have another ASAT III that does have a push-pull tone control. Was there a run of ASAT IIIs that didn't have the push-pull capability? A previous owner replaced the jack (I"ve been told the standard "barrel jacks" are fragile); is it possible that the entire control plate assembly has also been replaced. (The pickup selector has a white tip.)

Also, Craig, if you're reading this, I (and possibly others) would like to see all the "specifications" pages listed under a separate heading on the knowledge base page. I tried half a dozen searches for some variation of "asat III specs" and couldn't find anything. Also, no matter what page I'm on in this site, my browser url show http://www.guitarsbyleo.com, so I can't bookmark anything. If you ever decide to re-work the site layout...

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:18 am
Site Admin

Post Re: No push-pull pot on my ASAI III
themikeaustin wrote:
All,

I recently received an ASAT III that I bought off eBay. It doesn't have a push-pull pot on the tone control. I have another ASAT III that does have a push-pull tone control. Was there a run of ASAT IIIs that didn't have the push-pull capability? A previous owner replaced the jack (I"ve been told the standard "barrel jacks" are fragile); is it possible that the entire control plate assembly has also been replaced. (The pickup selector has a white tip.)

Also, Craig, if you're reading this, I (and possibly others) would like to see all the "specifications" pages listed under a separate heading on the knowledge base page. I tried half a dozen searches for some variation of "asat III specs" and couldn't find anything. Also, no matter what page I'm on in this site, my browser url show http://www.guitarsbyleo.com, so I can't bookmark anything. If you ever decide to re-work the site layout...

There were two production runs of the ASAT III (1986-1991, 1996-1998) and neither one included a push/pull tone pot.
See: Production List of G&L Instruments (USA),
List of Regular Production ASAT-style guitars (USA),
Album: 1988 - 1989 Memorabilia,
Album: Suggested Retail Price List - July 1, 1990,
ASAT (all 3 single coil pickup models plus Z-3) - schematic block diagram,
ASAT (all 3 single coil pickup models plus Z-3) - schematic drawing

The one you got from ebay is likely stock factory production and your other one would have had the push/pull tone pot installed by a previous owner.
Does this push/pull function as the pickup expander function?

Regarding your comments on the GbL site, I will add this to the G&LDP forum & guitarsbyleo.com site Discussion sub-forum for further discussion.

Hope this helps.
:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:38 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: No push-pull pot on my ASAI III
Thanks, Craig,

Yes, my other ASAT III does have the "expander" function. Honestly, I don't know why this isn't standard on every 3-pickup single coil guitar. It adds maybe $10 to the cost of the guitar and adds 40% more functionality.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]