G&L Tribute Legacy questions

Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Hello guys!

I tried a tribute ASAT classic with maple fretboard (that i really liked) but I am pretty much new to G&L guitars so I kindly ask for your help with this one.

My ultimate goal is to have a guitar with a good, usable tremolo system that isn't a floyd rose. I used to have an Ibanez RG with an edge pro trem that was really good but sold it because I don't play metal anymore. Other than this ibanez, I overall didn't have much luck in the past with tremolos. I tried a bunch of different guitars (from Chapman ml-1, Squier Classic Vibe, Ibanez RG with edge zero 2,...) and none, when taken out the box and set up, impressed me much, whether it was poor tuning stability, lack of good trem arm adjustment, or just a bad feeling overall). Anyway all of these trems basically felt really useless, and it is really starting to piss me off, not having a reliable instrument to get creative on. So, you see I'm kinda frustrated over the lack of quality trems in this world, on affordable guitars anyway.
On the other hand, I heard really good things about the G&L dual fulcrum trem, so I am tempted to try one out.

The tribute legacy to me kinda looks and sounds like a guitar that could satisfy my needs. I really like the sound, but am obviously skeptical about the trem. So my question is, is the dual fulcrum trem really "the best strat trem" out there as some put it, and is it as good as people are saying? How stable is it? Is it as good as the one on the USA models in terms of quality materials and what are the differences? I know that the trems with cheap baseplate materials can get worn out over time and then don't keep the tuning, so I am worried about how good it works long term.. I see the tuners aren't locking, but that isn't a problem, I'd buy them if necessary.

I also noticed that there are different body woods on the legacy models and was wondering if they should sound the same or maybe equally as good? I mean there is quite a price difference and I really like the cheaper basswood lake placid blue version over the more expensive swamp ash sunburst one. I am sure i need a rosewood fretboard though, because i can't stand the maple ones. There are some audio clips on thomann music store website where the basswood versions sound a lot worse than the swamp ash ones, so I'm confused..

My main problem is that I can't try these guitars out anywhere near me, so I would need to order one to try it out and send it back if it isn't ok.

I am also considering buying the ASAT tribute bluesboy if the legacy tremolo isn't what i'm looking for, so I'm in a dilemma right now and looking for some answers. If you guys can vouch for the tribute dual fulcrum trem, I will go for a legacy, if not, I am probably gonna be happy with an ASAT but will still strive for a tremolo equipped guitar.. I'd buy both but don't have that kinda money :D

Thanks for you time and answers! :mrgreen:

Re: G&L Tribute Legacy questions

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:24 pm

guitar2be wrote:Hello guys!

I tried a tribute ASAT classic with maple fretboard (that i really liked) but I am pretty much new to G&L guitars so I kindly ask for your help with this one.

My ultimate goal is to have a guitar with a good, usable tremolo system that isn't a floyd rose. I used to have an Ibanez RG with an edge pro trem that was really good but sold it because I don't play metal anymore. Other than this ibanez, I overall didn't have much luck in the past with tremolos. I tried a bunch of different guitars (from Chapman ml-1, Squier Classic Vibe, Ibanez RG with edge zero 2,...) and none, when taken out the box and set up, impressed me much, whether it was poor tuning stability, lack of good trem arm adjustment, or just a bad feeling overall). Anyway all of these trems basically felt really useless, and it is really starting to piss me off, not having a reliable instrument to get creative on. So, you see I'm kinda frustrated over the lack of quality trems in this world, on affordable guitars anyway.
On the other hand, I heard really good things about the G&L dual fulcrum trem, so I am tempted to try one out.

The tribute legacy to me kinda looks and sounds like a guitar that could satisfy my needs. I really like the sound, but am obviously skeptical about the trem. So my question is, is the dual fulcrum trem really "the best strat trem" out there as some put it, and is it as good as people are saying? How stable is it? Is it as good as the one on the USA models in terms of quality materials and what are the differences? I know that the trems with cheap baseplate materials can get worn out over time and then don't keep the tuning, so I am worried about how good it works long term.. I see the tuners aren't locking, but that isn't a problem, I'd buy them if necessary.

I also noticed that there are different body woods on the legacy models and was wondering if they should sound the same or maybe equally as good? I mean there is quite a price difference and I really like the cheaper basswood lake placid blue version over the more expensive swamp ash sunburst one. I am sure i need a rosewood fretboard though, because i can't stand the maple ones. There are some audio clips on thomann music store website where the basswood versions sound a lot worse than the swamp ash ones, so I'm confused..

My main problem is that I can't try these guitars out anywhere near me, so I would need to order one to try it out and send it back if it isn't ok.

I am also considering buying the ASAT tribute bluesboy if the legacy tremolo isn't what i'm looking for, so I'm in a dilemma right now and looking for some answers. If you guys can vouch for the tribute dual fulcrum trem, I will go for a legacy, if not, I am probably gonna be happy with an ASAT but will still strive for a tremolo equipped guitar.. I'd buy both but don't have that kinda money :D

Thanks for you time and answers! :mrgreen:

IMHO, Leo Fender's G&L Dual Fulcrum Vibrato system is one of the best floating vibratos available. See: G&L's DF Vibrato System.
Do yourself a favor and try one out, either on a Tribute model or the US model. The only difference is that the saddles on the US model are chrome plated brass.

Also, see these posts: What is the new Tribute series which G&L announced in 2003? and Why the change in manufacturing location for the Tributes?.

I suggest you use the Search feature of the Forums to see past posts regarding the Tribute Legacy, audio and video reviews of them. Use keyword "Tribute +Legacy" as a starting search point.

Hope this helps.

PS If you missed this announcement post, please read: Welcome! Read This First.

:ugeek:

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:17 pm

howdy guitarbe.
if you want the dfv, get it. trib legacy is a well made guitar. the CLF-100 pup's are excellent.
swamp ash body probably sounds better than a basswood, but that difference can be subtle.
the dfv is so much better than a fender strat vibrato, no contest.
i haven't tried a kahler or a floyd rose so i can't comment on them.
bigsby is a different animal all together.
you can get a used trib legacy online for $300, +/-.
you won't know til you get one and play it for awhile.
nothing's perfect, but the dfv is a well engineered, solid bridge/tailpiece/vibrato.
design for the tributes is the same, but the metals are different: usa with chrome plated brass, tribute with chrome plated die cast zinc alloy. once you set up the bridge tailpiece correctly, stretch out the strings, and break the thing in a bit, should work nice for you.
good luck shopping.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:41 am

Thanks guys! Now I trust the dfv tremolo quite a bit more, knowing it has quality parts.. :D anyway, has anyone compared basswood and swamp ash legacy side to side?
I am now concerned with whether the basswood one sounds much worse than the swamp ash one... those audio clips on thomann are just messing with me, despite the fact that I know there SHOULD be little to no difference between them, because the electronics are the same... I really like the lake placid blue legacy :cry: I remembered, I have another question. I also see now that the necks are finished differently (satin on swamp ash 3TS and lacquered on LPB basswood). I am skeptical about the lacquered finishes, because I'm a sweaty player... I know I'd prefer the satin one, but don't want to rule out the lacquered because I like LPB color. So, is the lacquered finish done really sticky or is it smooth? I have tried different heavy lacquered necks and found that some play better than the rest and are done smoother... meeh, i guess i'll just have to buy both, compare, and then send one back :crazy:

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:19 am

guitar2be wrote:I remembered, I have another question. I also see now that the necks are finished differently (satin on swamp ash 3TS and lacquered on LPB basswood). I am skeptical about the lacquered finishes, because I'm a sweaty player... I know I'd prefer the satin one, but don't want to rule out the lacquered because I like LPB color. So, is the lacquered finish done really sticky or is it smooth? I have tried different heavy lacquered necks and found that some play better than the rest and are done smoother... meeh, i guess i'll just have to buy both, compare, and then send one back :crazy:

The neck and body finishes on the Tribute Series are polyurethene not lacquer. The LPB Legacy neck has a tinted gloss finish and it is smooth.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: