Pickup Height for Legacy Special Rail Pickups

Wed May 31, 2017 8:20 pm

Does anyone know the factory specs for pickup height on the Legacy Special? I found this question asked on here some years ago and followed all the threads, but didn't really find a definitive answer. The old owners manual on G&L's web site is really for the Legacy's single coils and shows .031 on the treble side and .062 on the bass side, but I wonder if that's too close for the dual rails. I know the "correct" answer is to use my ears, but I'd like to know how they set them at the factory.

Re: Pickup Height for Legacy Special Rail Pickups

Wed May 31, 2017 8:54 pm

gtrpkr wrote:Does anyone know the factory specs for pickup height on the Legacy Special? I found this question asked on here some years ago and followed all the threads, but didn't really find a definitive answer. The old owners manual on G&L's web site is really for the Legacy's single coils and shows .031 on the treble side and .062 on the bass side, but I wonder if that's too close for the dual rails. I know the "correct" answer is to use my ears, but I'd like to know how they set them at the factory.

Try this post found in our G&L Knowledgebase: What should the pickup height setting be?

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:20 am

Thanks

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:00 pm

The Legacy Special that I bought new 15 years ago is as follows: (fretting the 22nd fret and not counting the rail that sticks up)

4mm for high E neck pickup
5mm for low E neck pickup
4mm for high E middle pickup
5mm for low E middle pickup
2.5mm for high E bridge pickup
4.5mm for low E bridge pickup

I don't ever recall adjusting them on this guitar. They sounded great from day one, so I believe they are still the same from when they left the factory.