Dual Fulcrum Vibrato tuning stability? - need guidance

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi guys,

I got my trem arm in the mail today which was missing from my new Legacy, and although I set up the guitar (I think) properly, the tuning with the DF vibrato is anything but stable when using the bar at all. I can do light flutters without going too far out of tune, but my G and low E strings go WAY out of tune sharp, and the rest go a bit sharp when pushing the bar towards the body, and vice versa when pulling away. I have lubed up the nut and string tree and stretched the strings some more to no avail. Anyone have any guidance? Here are some pics.

Back cavity + claw:

Bridge parallel to the body:

With the arm in:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Dual Fulcrum Vibrato tuning stability? - need guidance

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Did you use the Owner's Manual, Version 2 (1988-2008) for your setup?
I recommend that you set up the saddles as per the manual. Your saddles look uneven and not parallel with the bridge plate.

Also, I cannot tell from your photos if the felt washers are on the bridge posts (under the bridge plate). There should be two washers for each post.
Also, check the clearance of the left and right side of the trem block, so that it is not hitting the sides of the route.

Check to make sure all your adjustments match the measurements in the Manual.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:05 am

It looks to me like the problem might be within the trem cavity. I would not put the ground lug on the claw screw like that. It looks loose. Try removing the middle spring and just solder the red wire to the center hook. It looks like that was done that way in the past and someone wanted to add a third spring. You might also try removing the middle spring all together. Depends on how strong you like the feedback on the bar.

I also noticed that it appears as if the left spring is coming in contact with the edge of the cavity. It's almost as if someone replaced the claw with a slightly wider one. I'm not sure if they used different sizes on different guitars but if you have another one you can measure against, see what you find.

Just some observations, hope you can resolve the issue from there.

Tom

Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:28 am

Hi Craig, what's correct way?
2011 year
http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3371

1988-2008
or http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... emId=10418

about clearance from the body to the bottom of the bridge: 2/16" (2011 post) or 3/16" (manual 1988-2008)

I have a tribute Legacy HSS 2009 indonesian. Now the clearance is about 2/16" (3 mm), maybe 3/16" is excessive, not a good measurement. Right?

Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:38 am

wally wrote:Hi Craig, what's correct way?
2011 year
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3371

1988-2008
or http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... emId=10418

about clearance from the body to the bottom of the bridge: 2/16" (2011 post) or 3/16" (manual 1988-2008)

I have a tribute Legacy HSS 2009 indonesian. Now the clearance is about 2/16" (3 mm), maybe 3/16" is excessive, not a good measurement. Right?

Use this one: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges
Use this setup information for 2009 - present models.

Your clearance of 2/16" is correct. Make sure that bridge plate is parallel to the body (measure both trem posts to insure they are the same height).

Hope this helps.