DF Vibrato brass inserts question

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:30 pm

Hello GBL gurus,

I just acquired a beautiful 2015 right-handed S-500 that appears to have uneven DFV brass inserts creating a problem with lowering the bridge where the DFV top (low E string side - opposite tremolo arm holder) and bottom (high E string side - same side as tremolo arm holder) are at different heights when the height adjustment screws are set to their lowest height, i.e. fully tightened.

The source of the height difference is shown below in Image 1 and from another angle in Image 2; revealing the bottom brass insert is countersunk into the guitar body while the top brass insert protrudes above the body by 1-2mm.

Notice in Image 2 how you can clearly see the outer, cross-hatched service of the brass insert?! This insert is not fully installed from my observation :(

My questions:
1) Is this normal?
I have a Legacy I can disassemble for reference but prefer to keep at least one G&L Strat bodied guitar in ready, working order. :thumbup:
2) If this isn't normal, how do I lower the top, brass insert to match the countersunk, lower brass insert?
Unfortunately, the DFV brass insert installation/adjustment isn't covered in any set-up instructions I've found; hence my question for correcting the protruding height.

Another problem with the protruding insert is that it's not as rigid as the countersunk insert, i.e. it moves when bearing a load (could this be why the low E string doesn't stay in-tune?). I suspect that the top insert is less rigid because someone applied force in an attempt to set both bridge screws' height at the same, lowest level.

Thanks in advance for any insight offered here.

Regards,
Michael

Image 1

Image 2

Re: DF Vibrato brass inserts question

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:03 pm

I'm guessing it will need to be pulled, glued, and re-seated flush.
A slide hammer can be used to extract it, though it sounds like it won't give much resistance.

Is it under warranty still?

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:28 pm

I sent your post to one of my contacts at the factory and here is his reply:

Hi Craig,

No that is not normal. And it sounds like the post has come loose and is working its way out. Normally our warranty is not transferrable.
But if it is a factory defect we can sometimes make exceptions. Please have your member contact Memo at repairs@glguitars.com and
let’s see what we can do to help him out.

Thanks,

Spencer

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:18 am

Thanks Elwood and Craig for the quick reply and I'm glad to hear a resounding 'no' on the insert height not being normal.

It certainly seemed like the uneven brass inserts didn't reflect the quality workmanship in every other aspect of the guitar brand.

Based on the Custom Build Specs sheet sign-off date of 1/9/2015, the guitar would normally be under warranty with the exception of the original owner having sold me the guitar.

I'm beyond ecstatic to learn that Craig contacted G&L who responded positively about making an exception regarding warranty work on this potential material defect. Beyond ECSTATIC :happy0065:

Thank you all again. I'll be getting with G&L to see what can be worked out and following-up with the forum. :D

Sincerely,
Michael

Fri May 05, 2017 5:23 am

Hello Craig,
I wanted to express my thanks again for lining me up with G&L for the brass insert repair.

I've had my S-500 back for a couple weeks now and I'm loving it!

She stays in tune much better now that the insert is squared away.

Best regards,
Michael

Sat May 06, 2017 6:59 am

tricksr4kids wrote:Hello Craig,
I wanted to express my thanks again for lining me up with G&L for the brass insert repair.

I've had my S-500 back for a couple weeks now and I'm loving it!

She stays in tune much better now that the insert is squared away.

Best regards,
Michael

You are welcome. I am glad to have been able to help.
I do like happy endings ... and new beginnings!

:sign0011: