S-3 Project Feedback...

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:02 am

I would like any feedback anyone can give on what I am thinking about. If you did it or something similar then post it with pics here!

Since we can no longer get a stock S-3 (or maybe it would be an ASAT with 3 - S-500 pickups) I want to alter a new guitar to make one -- but with one difference. I want a fulcrum vibrato.

After much research it would seem the easiest and least expensive way of doing this is (while keeping the integrity of the guitar) is:

1. Order my preferred custom Z3 with fulcrum vibrato directly from a dealer
2. Order a replacement pick guard fully loaded with S-500 pickups
3. replace on guitar upon arrival
4. enjoy

Also in addition I was wondering if anyone has added the PTB system to an S-3? I think also not too hard:

1. Get replacement control plate with 3 holes
2. Add the correct wiring and switch for an s-500 or legacy (can add a push/pull for pick up config)
3. Enjoy

Re: S-3 Project Feedback...

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:41 pm

Why not just buy an ASAT III that already has the S-500 pickups in it? Or, buy an S-500? The only problem with the ASAT III is finding one with a DFV bridge, but not so with the S-500.

Tom

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:30 pm

FZTNT wrote:Why not just buy an ASAT III that already has the S-500 pickups in it? Or, buy an S-500? The only problem with the ASAT III is finding one with a DFV bridge, but not so with the S-500.

Tom

I am already shopping for the 'right' S-500, but have wanted the ASAT instead, I have never seen an ASAT III with DFV (except for a few rare pics here on the forums) for sale!

I already asked my dealer and they said a custom order is a no go, the ASAT III with S-500 pickups is not being produced at all

I guess the sound difference between the two is really not a big difference , do you or anyone have the two to compare?

The ASAT III is individually routed yes? Where as an S-500 is a swimming pool route?

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:52 pm

There are ASAT IIIs for sale on both eBay and Reverb, as well as here. I would never "mutilate" such a rare guitar, but that's just me.

According to this app -

http://www.glguitarsgenerator.com/ASAT_index.html

- you can order an ASAT Special with a DFV. You would probably need to rout out the middle pickup cavity and order a new pickguard, install a 5-way switch and a push-pull pot to add pickup combinations.

I have an ASAT Classic S and I modified the switching to use a S-1 switch and changed the "down" position to add B+M, B+N and M+N pickups in series, in addition to the N+B and all 3 in parallel.

Honestly, though, you should probably just get a S-500. It's essentially what you want in a Legacy body rather than an ASAT body. There would be some tonal differences because of the greater mass of the ASAT body and the saddle-lock bridge, but you would lose the saddle-lock bridge and some of the body mass anyway by putting in the DFV and having to rout out the back to accommodate the DFV springs.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:23 am

themikeaustin wrote:There are ASAT IIIs for sale on both eBay and Reverb, as well as here. I would never "mutilate" such a rare guitar, but that's just me.

According to this app -

http://www.glguitarsgenerator.com/ASAT_index.html

- you can order an ASAT Special with a DFV. You would probably need to rout out the middle pickup cavity and order a new pickguard, install a 5-way switch and a push-pull pot to add pickup combinations.

I have an ASAT Classic S and I modified the switching to use a S-1 switch and changed the "down" position to add B+M, B+N and M+N pickups in series, in addition to the N+B and all 3 in parallel.

Honestly, though, you should probably just get a S-500. It's essentially what you want in a Legacy body rather than an ASAT body. There would be some tonal differences because of the greater mass of the ASAT body and the saddle-lock bridge, but you would lose the saddle-lock bridge and some of the body mass anyway by putting in the DFV and having to rout out the back to accommodate the DFV springs.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Yes I would not want to change a stock ASAT III, thats why I would want to recreate it.

You make a great point that the vibrato routing would be the same on both guitars and therefore the main difference between the two would be the amount of wood in the body only (and type of wood I suppose)

Thanks a lot. My apology if it seemed like a silly endeavor but finding an original ASAT III with vibrato is probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:26 am

I seriously just spent half an hour generating a whole bunch of guitars I don't have the money to buy. That's a great little link.

Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:44 am

DanDoulogos wrote:I seriously just spent half an hour generating a whole bunch of guitars I don't have the money to buy. That's a great little link.

Yeah I have dreamed about a number of configurations on that lol!