Neck Humbucker Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy (Solid Body)

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:27 am

Hi,

Please can anyone tell me the thread size and screw length of the two height adjusting screws at the AS4255C neck humbucker pup of a Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy (Solid Body)? Are they 3-48 or are they metric? What length?

I know that details of screws is not a major question but I've been going around in circles trying for the answer so any information via this forum would be great. I had emailed the UK Distributor and BBE Sound and G&L Guitars in the USA but didn't get a reply.

What pup height settings work best for the neck humbucker and for the single coil MFD bridge pickup on the Tribute Bluesboy (Solid Body)?

Thanks everyone.

Re: Neck Humbucker Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy (Solid Bod

Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:51 pm

blueswell52 wrote:Hi,

Please can anyone tell me the thread size and screw length of the two height adjusting screws at the AS4255C neck humbucker pup of a Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy (Solid Body)? Are they 3-48 or are they metric? What length?

I know that details of screws is not a major question but I've been going around in circles trying for the answer so any information via this forum would be great. I had emailed the UK Distributor and BBE Sound and G&L Guitars in the USA but didn't get a reply.

What pup height settings work best for the neck humbucker and for the single coil MFD bridge pickup on the Tribute Bluesboy (Solid Body)?

Thanks everyone.

One of my G&L contacts will be checking with the factory and I should hear back in a day or so.

Also, see this post: What should the pickup height setting be?

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:34 pm

Craig wrote:
blueswell52 wrote:Hi,

Thanks everyone.

One of my G&L contacts will be checking with the factory and I should hear back in a day or so.

Also, see this post: What should the pickup height setting be?

Hope this helps.

I have heard back from Spencer at the factory:

Hi Craig,

Thread on that screw is 3-48 UNC. They’re about an inch and a quarter in length. Same one as we use here.

Thanks,

Spencer

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:07 pm

Regarding the pickup heights:

You may get differing opinions here, but I think the best approach is to set the height close to the strings and gradually lower them, testing as you go and determining which height is best for you.

The MFD pickups have stronger magnets than alnico pickups. In my experience, that makes them more powerful and brighter than alnico pickups. For me, my favorite tone is with the pickups closer to the body than the strings. That seems to improve the tone and increase the sustain. There's also the "string pull" theory of pickups, that is, that having the pickups too close to the strings causes the magnets to interfere with the natural vibration of the strings, resulting in less sustain. YMMV.

Many people complain that the humbucker pickup is too "dark". If you find this to be true, you may want to keep the humbucker closer to the strings, balancing the output with the bridge pickup.

HTH,

Mike

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:33 am

Hi, thanks a lot Craig and themikeaustin. All the information that you've posted is really helpful. I appreciate it very much.