View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Short and wiring question 

Post Short and wiring question
Hello, I purchased a used G&L Legacy Special and so I am enjoying it. It's my first G&L every and it is in very good condition. Except, that the guitar seems to have a short. The guitar plays, but does go silent sometimes after changing pickups using the 5 way switch. When I play there is a slight hum except when touching the strings or other metal parts of the guitar. After opening her up and checking against the schematics available from the G&L website, the wiring on my guitar versus the schematics from G&L are not the same by a long shot.

Question is, do I go ahead an rewire to the exact wiring schematics from G&L, or could that possible make it worse?

Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:55 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Short and wiring question
Idolno1 wrote:
Hello, I purchased a used G&L Legacy Special and so I am enjoying it. It's my first G&L every and it is in very good condition. Except, that the guitar seems to have a short. The guitar plays, but does go silent sometimes after changing pickups using the 5 way switch. When I play there is a slight hum except when touching the strings or other metal parts of the guitar. After opening her up and checking against the schematics available from the G&L website, the wiring on my guitar versus the schematics from G&L are not the same by a long shot.

Question is, do I go ahead an rewire to the exact wiring schematics from G&L, or could that possible make it worse?

I would recommend putting it back to factory wiring.
Regarding the slight hum, check that the ground wires have good connections and make sure the ground to the bridge is connected securely.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:49 pm
Profile WWW

I wired exactly according to G&L specs and all is well. But, I'm still getting that weird thing happen when I touch any metal piece like the tuners.

So would that still be a grounding issue?

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:44 pm
Site Admin

Idolno1 wrote:
I wired exactly according to G&L specs and all is well. But, I'm still getting that weird thing happen when I touch any metal piece like the tuners.

Yes, likely because the Legacy Special blade pickups are humbucking, so there should be no hum. Did you check the ground wire at the bridge?

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:49 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, I'm no expert but seems pretty solid to me.

If its not that I wonder what it can be?

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Craig wrote:
Idolno1 wrote:

Yes, likely because the Legacy Special blade pickups are humbucking, so there should be no hum. Did you check the ground wire at the bridge?

When I played again just now, the guitar again went silent when switching to the bridge pickup. But, does come back on after a few more sliding of the 5 way back and forth but something is definitely wrong there. Wonder if it's the 5 way. This guitar is supposed to still be under warranty, but now that I've rewired I'm wondering if I void it by doing that? :confused0007:

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:19 pm
Site Admin

Idolno1 wrote:
Craig wrote:
Idolno1 wrote:

When I played again just now, the guitar again went silent when switching to the bridge pickup. But, does come back on after a few more sliding of the 5 way back and forth but something is definitely wrong there. Wonder if it's the 5 way. This guitar is supposed to still be under warranty, but now that I've rewired I'm wondering if I void it by doing that? :confused0007:

Because you bought it used, it will no longer be under warranty. The warranty is not transferrable.

You might try spraying some contact cleaner on the pickup selector switch.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:25 pm
Profile WWW

Craig wrote:
Idolno1 wrote:
Craig wrote:
Idolno1 wrote:

Because you bought it used, it will no longer be under warranty. The warranty is not transferrable.

You might try spraying some contact cleaner on the pickup selector switch.

Funny, I was troubleshooting my amp today and had to clean out one switch with contact cleaner. I wonder why I didn't think of doing that!?

Thank you!

Can I spray from the top or do I have to remove the pick guard and all to do it?

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:37 pm
Site Admin

Perhaps this youtube video might help you:

Please let us know if you were able to resolve the issue and how you resolved it.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:49 pm
Profile WWW

Craig wrote:
Perhaps this youtube video might help you:

Please let us know if you were able to resolve the issue and how you resolved it.

I just found out if I tap on the bass tone knob, it cuts in and out. So I am now onto cleaning the pot out with contact cleaner. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]