View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Gap too big at 22nd fret-ASAT 

Post Gap too big at 22nd fret-ASAT
I have a relatively new USA ASAT special SH, and Ive maybe changed strings 3 times. During a recent string change I decided I would tweak the truss rod as the winter has been super dry and cold up here in Canada this year. While going through the G&L setup manual, all goes well for measurements until I reach the part where you adjust the gap between the #6 low E string and the 22nd fret. I get about .100" where the manual wants .062". The modern ASAT neck doesnt have the adjustment screw on the back, so I am unsure how to get the action down to where I prefer it....any ideas where to go? I must have made an error somewhere as the guitar used to play awesome, now it feels a lot worse..:(
I should add I am new to guitar setup and adjustments but I feel this is certainly something I should be capable of doing with a few pointers from some experts out there! Thanks for any pointers!

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Post Re: Gap too big at 22nd fret-ASAT
I'm not sure I understand, and apologies if I've misinterpreted what you've tried to do so far -

You do not set the overall string height ('action') by adjusting the truss rod. The truss rod is only there to set/adjust neck 'relief' (the very small amount of forward 'bow', for which the setup guide recommends ".010"-.012" clearance for #6 string at #8 fret when #6 string is fretted simultaneously at #1 and #22 frets".

To set string height to the desired .062" just adjust the individual saddle up or down using the two grub screws in the saddle. As you've seen your guitar has no 'micro-tilt' feature as used to be there on older G&L guitars.

However before you do this you need to make sure the truss rod is (re?)adjusted properly. Which way did you turn the truss rod adjuster, and what does the neck relief measure at the 8th fret when fretted at frets 1 and 22 simultaneously? What did it measure before you made the adjustment?

If it 'used to play awesome', the truss rod mightn't have needed adjusting in the first place; my ASAT Classic rarely sees a truss rod adjustment, maybe 3 times over the past decade (this period includes a move 1200kms North, away from an extremely dry climate to a very humid sub-tropical one.)

Cheers and good luck, let us know how you go,
A

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:21 pm
Site Admin

Assuming your ASAT is newer than 2008, you should be using the current factory setup. See: How-To Guide.
For pickup height settings, see: What should the pickup height setting be?.

Also, search this sub-forum for additional setup suggestions, too.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:50 pm
Profile WWW

well that seems to be the problem. I have the relief set at .011" (8th fret), so the truss seems to be set proper. But at the 22nd fret, I have a large gap, and then I adjust the saddles to get a better gap which results in a lot of string buzz. I see no difference between the old manual & the 2008+ manual....?

Thanks for the help

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:41 pm

OK cool, the truss rod sounds like it's well adjusted then.

Do all of the strings buzz, and are they only buzzing on a certain fret (or frets)?

(Or conversely is the 'buzz' coming from the bridge/saddle area regardless of where the strings are fretted?)

I couldn't determine the differences between the manuals either, they both outline adjustment of the micro-tilt feature, which your guitar is not equipped with.

Cheers,
A.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:56 pm
Site Admin

Achoo wrote:
well that seems to be the problem. I have the relief set at .011" (8th fret), so the truss seems to be set proper. But at the 22nd fret, I have a large gap, and then I adjust the saddles to get a better gap which results in a lot of string buzz. I see no difference between the old manual & the 2008+ manual....?

Thanks for the help

andy_tchp wrote:
OK cool, the truss rod sounds like it's well adjusted then.

Do all of the strings buzz, and are they only buzzing on a certain fret (or frets)?

(Or conversely is the 'buzz' coming from the bridge/saddle area regardless of where the strings are fretted?)

I couldn't determine the differences between the manuals either, they both outline adjustment of the micro-tilt feature, which your guitar is not equipped with.

Cheers,
A.

I think you missed the last post of the How-To Guide thread:

The difference between the Owner's Manual, Version 1, and the Owner's Manual, Version 2 is:

Quote:
Owner's Manual, Version 2
The truss rod and action adjustment on Pages 7 and 9 have been updated in this version. The information contained herein is applicable to just about all G&Ls (before 2008 or so). Note for SC-2 (2008 and up), continue to use the setup in this manual.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:24 pm
Profile WWW

Aha.

So you want .062" (decimal equivalent of 4/64 (or 1/16, why on Earth it's been expressed as '4/64' I don't know)) at the 12th fret, rather than the 22nd.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]