View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Intonation during setup 

Post Intonation during setup
This is really a question for discussion, unless somebody has One True Answer... :D

I set the intonation on my guitars like most people, I think, adjusting the pitch at the 12th fret to match the 12th-fret harmonic using the most accurate tuner I have. These days it's usually some kind of strobe tuner emulator, the Peterson iPhone app or a Korg "Pitchblack Custom" tuner.

As you've probably noticed, it is really hard to get the "strobe" completely motionless. And worse, how much it moves and which direction is influenced by what's touching the neck and how hard it's touching. Is it hanging free? Horizontally or vertically? Do you have your hand on it? Is it supported at the headstock?

It's not like it really makes much difference, and my intonation ends up just fine, but I'm wondering what other people do. Me, I keep my hands off it, and the guitar is usually lying across my lap, strings up but with the neck hanging over empty space, because I'm too lazy to clear off my workbench. It seems to me I should get the most consistent results from string to string if nothing is touching any of them.

Do you have a policy? A rationale for it? Can you make an argument that the way you do it is the one true and perfect way?

--Al Evans :geek: :geek: :geek:

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:47 am

Post Re: Intonation during setup
I try not to overthink it :) I doubt you'd get a strobe tuner motionless against a fretted note for more than half a second.

But;

- I have the guitar in a normal playing position, whether sitting or standing. After all, this is the exact same environment that the notes are going to be fretted in normal use. The neck is as 'supported' as it can be by the tension of the strings, neck screws, gravity and the force applied to fret a note.

- I try and fret as cleanly as possible, making sure not to be inadvertently pushing the string slightly sharp.

- I check fretted 5th vs fretted 17th too.

- I'm particularly anally retentive about nut slot height. Many/most/all(?) guitars have arrived with me with the slots WAY too high, which pushes fretted notes on the first 3-4 frets sharp. My nut slot files paid for themselves within a couple of uses.

- Likewise fret dressing. If it needs it, I'll spend the time to do a full level+recrown rather than persevering with something I'm unhappy with for very long.

Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:06 pm

Post Re: Intonation during setup
andy_tchp wrote:
I
- I check fretted 5th vs fretted 17th too.

- I'm particularly anally retentive about nut slot height. Many/most/all(?) guitars have arrived with me with the slots WAY too high, which pushes fretted notes on the first 3-4 frets sharp. My nut slot files paid for themselves within a couple of uses.

I like both of these points. Maybe I'll talk myself into finally splurging on some nut slot files. :happy0065:

--Al Evans

Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]