Pup's covers swap

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:18 am

Hi there,

I read here somewhere that swapping big mfd covers could be tricky... is it true with the new ones ? I want to change the cover of my SC2 pups...

Thanx for your help !

Re: Pup's covers swap

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:26 am

meursault wrote:Hi there,

I read here somewhere that swapping big mfd covers could be tricky... is it true with the new ones ? I want to change the cover of my SC2 pups...

Thanx for your help !

Replacing pickup covers: because the pickups are wax potted, you might have to gently heat the existing cover with
say a hair dryer (don't use too high of a setting) before removal. Just enough to soften the wax to remove the cover.

From G&L's On-Line Store (Pickup Cover - Jumbo MFD single coil):

Important! MFD pickups are wax potted with the cover on. Therefore, there is possibility of breaking the coil wire when removing original cover,
particularly if pickup is cold. Adding some warmth using a hair dryer or heat gun will make the wax more pliable and the cover easier to remove.
It is not necessary to re-pot the pickup with the new cover installed, but adding some warmth prior to installation of cover is recommended.
We strongly recommend professional removal and replacement of cover of any MFD pickup. G&L is not responsible if you break your pickup when changing the cover.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:
Last edited by Craig on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added quote from G&L On-Line Store on cover removal/replacement

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:28 am

Thanx for the reply... so this is what i though...

Ok... let's found pup's covers around... that will be tricky too ! ^^

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:33 am

meursault wrote:Thanx for the reply... so this is what i though...

Ok... let's found pup's covers around... that will be tricky too ! ^^

The G&L On-Line Store has them, see: Pickup Cover - Jumbo MFD single coil.

:ugeek:

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:18 am

Yeah i know... it would be easier if i found some around... but i guess i'll have to go G&L on-line store...