putting an ASAT bridge on a Legacy?

Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:37 pm

I'd like to possibly put an ASAT bridge on my Legacy.

The bridge p/u is the only pickup I never use (by itself) on my Legacy, which got me thinking how nice a tele (or ASAT) bridge p/u would probably sound there instead.

Which got me thinking even further that an Asat bridge pickup AND an Asat bridge/plate would sound even better.
I realize this would require modifying my Legacy. But, maybe its worth it, maybe not. I rarely use my tremolo bar, so not too heartbroken over that.

Just checking in the knowledge base if its even possible.

If this is too crazy, does anybody recommend a bridge pickup replacement that would match the impedance of the stock vintage alnicos? Maybe just an Asat bridge pickup or some kind of rail humbucker?

Cheers!
Steve

Re: putting an ASAT bridge on a Legacy?

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:13 pm

seteef wrote:I'd like to possibly put an ASAT bridge on my Legacy.

The bridge p/u is the only pickup I never use (by itself) on my Legacy, which got me thinking how nice a tele (or ASAT) bridge p/u would probably sound there instead.

Which got me thinking even further that an Asat bridge pickup AND an Asat bridge/plate would sound even better.
I realize this would require modifying my Legacy. But, maybe its worth it, maybe not. I rarely use my tremolo bar, so not too heartbroken over that.

Just checking in the knowledge base if its even possible.

If this is too crazy, does anybody recommend a bridge pickup replacement that would match the impedance of the stock vintage alnicos? Maybe just an Asat bridge pickup or some kind of rail humbucker?

Cheers!
Steve

Somehow your post got overlooked until a new member noticed and brought it to everyone's attention. :shock: :oops:

Since there are two different ASAT hardtail bridges: the Saddle-Lock bridge for all ASATs excepting the ASAT Classic models,
and for the ASAT Classic models it is the "G&L traditional boxed steel bridge with six brass saddles". It is not clear which bridge you asking about, perhaps both, so I will try answering for each bridge type.

The Saddle-Lock bridge is an optional bridge for the Legacy models, so I would suggest selling or trading your current Legacy for a Legacy HSS with the optional Saddle-Lock bridge.
This will get you a bridge alnico humbucker (there are options on which one you can order). Reference: March 1, 2016-present G&L U.S. Specifications and Options.

The Saddle-Lock DIY way would require removing the DFV, refilling the body routes for the DFV and then routing for the Saddle-Lock bridge foot protrusion in the body. Reference: G&L Saddle-Lock bridge.

The ASAT Classic bridge DIY way would again require removing the DFV, refilling the body routes for the DFV and then routing for the ASAT Classic style bridge pickup (MFD or Alnico).

The DIY method will require luthier skills and if you were to commission one to do it, I would imagine it would be very expensive.
So, again, I would recommend selling and buying a suitable replacement or do a trade for Legacy or Legacy HSS with a Saddle-Lock bridge.

Just my $0.02.

:ugeek:

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:41 pm

Another option to consider:

Block the DFV: see: How do I block the tremelo on my guitar? and replace the bridge pickup with the G&L Power Blade Humbucker used in the Legacy Special. Reference: List of pickups used in G&L guitars and
http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/pickups/products/dual-blade-power-blade-humbucking-pickups.

Yet another $0.02 ;)

:ugeek:

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:47 pm

How about an ASAT Classic S Alnico? If you really wanted you could change the neck to Legacy pickup.... Though you would lose the PTB controls. I would thimk this is the easiest way to get the pu combination your looking for and still be able to change back to original configuration easily.

Just my opinion, Dan