View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 G&L Legacy Tribute with an Eric Clapton Mid Boost Circuit 

Post G&L Legacy Tribute with an Eric Clapton Mid Boost Circuit
Would it be possible for me to put a Clapton mid boost mod into a G&L legacy? I know the Legacy has a passive treble and bass system so I don't know if it would be possible for the Legacy.
Thanks!

Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:32 pm

Post Re: G&L Legacy Tribute with an Eric Clapton Mid Boost Circui
Hi,

I don't have one of these in my guitars, but I did a little bit of googling...

First of all, it's active electronics, so it requires a PCB and a battery. Most people say it requires routing out the guitar. Here's what I found on YouTube:

<<<
'Volume' still functions as normal. The first 'Tone' now controls the tone and tone boost of all 3 pickups instead of just the neck pickup (settings 1-5 normal tone, 5+ is boosted with the kit). The second 'Tone' becomes the gain and compression for the kit (i.e. as you add gain, the compression is added proportionally to keep your volume relatively the same between 0-10).
>>>

This implies that you will lose the PTB capabilities. Maybe a competent guitar tech...?

The installation instructions are widely considered sub-par.

I have an ASAT Classic S that I had modified by a guitar tech. As you may know, these guitars have a push-pull volume control that in the up position gives you B+N and all 3 pickup combinations. I had mine modified like this (from bridge to neck switch positions):

1. B+N in parallel
2. All 3 in parallel
3. B+M in series
4. M+N in series
5. B+N in series

The stock push-pull pot was replaced with a Fender S-1 pot. In series, the tone is much more "humbucker-ish", and noise cancelling except in the B+N combination.

This was done with no routing and cost ~ $225, including parts. If you're not comfortable modding your guitar, you will need someone else to do the work, so your total cost could be comparable...

HTH,

Mike

Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:22 pm

dartaigon wrote:
Would it be possible for me to put a Clapton mid boost mod into a G&L legacy? I know the Legacy has a passive treble and bass system so I don't know if it would be possible for the Legacy.
Thanks!

Hi dartaigon,

Yes, it would be possible to put the Eric Clapton mid boost system into a Legacy. The EC kit includes the 3 controls that would replace the 3 controls on the Legacy. Your Legacy would now be an active guitar with Volume, TBX, and Mid Boost as your 3 controls. Here is a website that has a pretty good explanation of the install. http://areyouexperienced.net/fender_cla ... st_kit.htm

I designed the Fender Mid Boost circuit and the TBX control back in 1980 while I was working in R&D. Originally these circuits were used in the Elite Strats and Elite Telecaster. They eventually found their way into the EC model. It's a pretty cool setup but I am a bit biased.

Thanks,
Paul Gagon

Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:03 pm

Paul Gagon wrote:

I designed the Fender Mid Boost circuit and the TBX control back in 1980 while I was working in R&D. It's a pretty cool setup but I am a bit biased.

Thanks,
Paul Gagon

Get outta here! You serious? :clap: I actually put the EC setup in my Legacy, I call it "Clapton's Legacy" but I didn't want it to always be on so I put a mini-toggle in there which allows me to go passive or active and I never end up with a dead guitar.

Well done Mr. Gagon! Thanks for a very cool circuit! :alright:

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]