View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 PTB System on Legacy 

Post PTB System on Legacy
Hi there.

I'm on a relaxed hunt for a legacy. I played a blueburst tribute legacy and I found the PTB system a bit un-natural.

With a regular strat I find I set the tone control how I want it using the neck pickup and then access the other classic sounds using the pickup selector. I pretty much never have to touch the tone control once I've 'set' it.

Not so with the legacy I played. I found I was having to adjust the tone controls (and they have a huge range) when I used the pickup selector.

For gigging, I want the easiest setup to use so I can focus on playing rather than twiddlling knobs. How have others found the PTB setup and ho do you set your legacy up to get all the classic tones just using the pickup selecter?

Is it just me or is the PTB system too much of a good thing on a legacy? If you haven't mastered it have you re-wired it back to a standard strat tone circuit, or EJ variant?

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:16 am
Site Admin

Post Re: PTB System on Legacy
Jamess wrote:
Hi there.

I'm on a relaxed hunt for a legacy. I played a blueburst tribute legacy and I found the PTB system a bit un-natural.

With a regular strat I find I set the tone control how I want it using the neck pickup and then access the other classic sounds using the pickup selector. I pretty much never have to touch the tone control once I've 'set' it.

Not so with the legacy I played. I found I was having to adjust the tone controls (and they have a huge range) when I used the pickup selector.

For gigging, I want the easiest setup to use so I can focus on playing rather than twiddlling knobs. How have others found the PTB setup and ho do you set your legacy up to get all the classic tones just using the pickup selecter?

Is it just me or is the PTB system too much of a good thing on a legacy? If you haven't mastered it have you re-wired it back to a standard strat tone circuit, or EJ variant?

Not sure if you have seen this post: Can you explain the PTB circuit?.
You might search using "PTB" as the keyword and should find other member's comments posts about it on our site.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Profile WWW

have you played it for very long or just get it ??..... when I switch from Fender to G&L Legacy it was a little different but I had no problems adjusting to the "new to me" controls ..... it's just a Bass and Treble knob 2 band equalizer , once I got used to it I haven't really ever missed the single tone control knob on my Fender strat and wouldn't want to be with out it on my Legacy , S500 or Comanche ....

Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:27 am

I loved the PTB circuit immediately, on the legacy and the comanche. very versatile. On strats with standard wiring I would always just dime the tones when playing out. Occasionally rolled off a little when playing in position 4 in the basement. I do not use this approach with the G&L's, as you mentioned they are very dynamic range tone controls. Usually I have the bass at about 5, and the treble at about 7, but it really depends on the song and the pickup combination I'm using.

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]