View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Pickup size shape- SB-1 

Post Pickup size shape- SB-1
Does anyone know if the MFD split-coil pickup used on both the SB-1 and SB-2 basses is the same size as the more traditional Fender-sized p-bass pickups, that are mass-produced by Fender, DiMarzio, Seymour-Duncan, etc? I'm thinking about ordering one for a project bass. I'm concerned whether or not an off-the-shelf P-bass style pickguard will fit, allowing the MFD to pass thru it without modification?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:37 am

Post Re: Pickup size shape- SB-1
Do not know too much about it but am aware that very early (mid-'80s) SB-1s with the P-bass pickups were using Schaller PBX pups (see GGJaguar's website). Here is the PBX bass pickup PDF (in German) with dimensions in mm.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:18 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Pickup size shape- SB-1
I can tell you from experience that a Schaller PBX will not fit into a tight pickguard route for a current SB-1 MFD. My '86 SB-1 came to me with a very recent MFD installed, and the original Schaller in the case. Both are out of the bass right now, and setting the coils on a table together the Schaller is right at 0.88 mm narrower than the MFD (using a green Tortex pick as a feeler gauge). Unlike a standard P-bass pickup, the MFD has rounded corners. The mounting wings have a slightly different shape, too.

You could probably make the MFD fit a stock Fender pickguard with a minimal amount of filing, but you will have some small gaps in the corners due to the MFD being rounded. You'd have to be pretty close to notice them, though.

Ken

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]