Thinking about hacking into my ASAT. Suggestions?

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:45 pm

Hello everyone. This is my first post here, but I wanted to come to the experts.

I'm a longtime G&L lover. Discovered the ASAT 8 years or so ago and have had 4 or 5 ASATs since. For the last several years though, I've been playing a 2007 ASAT Classic Custom. (The one with the jumbo MFD in the neck and single MFD in the bridge) and it has been my #1 go-to guitar for since the moment I first picked it up.

Lately though, I've been enamel red with the 3-pickup Classic S. For awhile, I was thinking about trying to save my pennies to get a Classic S Alnico, but then I had a delightfully foolish idea — I could just modify my ASAT.

The idea is that I'd get a local-ish luthier to carve out some room for a middle pickup, do up a custom pickguard and swap in a 5-way (or some kind of blender.) And since I LOVE the Jumbo MFD in the neck and don't want to lose that, such a possibility is awfully appealing.

BUT I'm not sure about how the Jumbo would blend with an S-500 middle pickup.

Has anyone here tried anything like this? A Nashville-style custom ASAT sounds tempting (and would be loads cheaper than buying a second guitar), but I need some insight. Don't want to go hacking up my beautiful guitar if everybody knows this plan is destined for failure.

Re: Thinking about hacking into my ASAT. Suggestions?

Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:52 am

Crxsh, I'm pretty sure it would work together fine and sound good. The idea reminds me of the ASATCAT. See link below for discussion on the ASATCAT.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9061

I would add an expander switch so you can still get the Bridge and Neck combo.

Dan

Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:24 am

Here's an ASATCAT san pickguard:

Here's a video of the ASATCAT that I found.

phpBB [video]

Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:29 pm

Appreciate the info. Good to know this is possible.

My next question is on winding. I assume the S-500 middle is reverse wound, think that'll present any issues?

Right now, I'm thinking a 5-way switch will do just fine with the following:

1. Bridge
2. Middle
3. Bridge + Neck
4. Middle + Neck
5. Neck

But I'm now sure how the RW middle pickup will work with it as is.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:51 pm

crxsh wrote:Appreciate the info. Good to know this is possible.

My next question is on winding. I assume the S-500 middle is reverse wound, think that'll present any issues?

Right now, I'm thinking a 5-way switch will do just fine with the following:

1. Bridge
2. Middle
3. Bridge + Neck
4. Middle + Neck
5. Neck

But I'm now sure how the RW middle pickup will work with it as is.

You will get hum in the neck+middle position. See: ASAT-Classic-S-Revised.

:ugeek: