ASAT Tribute goes sharp

Mon May 17, 2010 1:02 pm

I have an ASAT Tribute. At the first position fretted notes, especially the G string, go noticeably sharp. For instance, if I play an E cord at the first position, the cord will sound a little out of tune. Intonation improves up the neck and is fine at the 12th fret. Is there anything I can do about this?

Re: ASAT Tribute goes sharp

Mon May 17, 2010 2:23 pm

Does the action seem too high at the nut?
It could be that the G-string slot needs to be carefully deepened with a nut file.
Is the G string seated completely in the slot? If the slot wasn't cut wide enough for the string gauge you are using this would cause it to ride a little high and cause the sharp notes you are experiencing.

I would suspect the problem to be at the nut if chords sound right higher up the neck.

Can you post a picture of the action at the nut or measure it with feeler gauge?

Mon May 17, 2010 3:26 pm

Thanks, for the reply. I will check it out with a feeler gauge this evening after I get home from work and let you know tomorrow.

Norm

Tue May 18, 2010 1:01 pm

I checked the string clearaance over the first fret and found it to be .043" (1.08mm). The strings are all properly in their slots. I keep the slots in the nut cleaned and lubricated. All of the strings will go sharp when fretted at the first fret, though the G seems worse than the others.

Norm

Tue May 18, 2010 2:56 pm

In the setup instructions it specifies .018" as the recommended spacing above the first fret.

It sounds like you could safely deepen the slots ( or have a luthier do it if you don't have nut files).

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/main.php?g2_itemId=366

Tue May 18, 2010 3:22 pm

I'll do that. Thanks for your help.

Norm

Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:55 am

The same happened to my Tribute S-500. A luthier refiled the slots and the situation improved a lot. But, don´t expect perfect pitch at every fret and every string with a normal nut.