1983 SC3 color verification

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:22 pm

I just bought a 1983 G&L SC3 I would like to verify the color. How can I do this? Thanks Spike

Re: 1983 SC3 color verification

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:30 pm

Welcome. Post a photo, and I will let you know what the color is. There weren't many choices with the SC models in the early 1980s.

Ken

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:36 pm

Can I verify color With SN # thanks Spike

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi Spike,

In a word, no. Serial numbers were used at random, and the Leo-era sales logs are in private hands at this point.

The original SC series guitars were finished in Red, White, Viking Blue and Black, with a very small number of sunbursts in the mix. It's normal for the finishes to have oxidized by now, so the Reds tend to look orange, Whites cream or yellow, and Blues more of a surf green at this point. Of course, back in those days anything was possible with special orders so it is possible (but very unlikely) for other colors to be out there.

Ken

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Thank you Ken I will post a photo of my red SC3

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:44 pm

Glad to help!

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:49 pm

Ken, my guitar has some ware, but has a lot more to give. Should I get the paint restored?

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:40 pm

Personally I wouldn't, unless it was non-original and the color drove me crazy. No matter what condition an original finish is in, it will hold value much better than any refinishing job.

Keep in mind that only 600 or so SC-2s were produced before the body style changed in 1984. They were inexpensive guitars for a very long time, and made attractive platforms for modders. Regardless of condition, any SC-2 that's still all original is a rarity.

Ken

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:17 am

Thanks Ken, Do you think the same way about the SC-3? This guitar plays and sounds great. It has a few nicks and dings on the body.

Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:51 pm

I wouldn't remove an original finish from any vintage G&L, as it will destroy the collectors' value. If we're talking a factory quality refinish, you'd be putting a couple of hundred dollars into the guitar while reducing its value by about the same amount. A bad refinishing job would lower the value even more.

Depending on the year, an SC-3 can be more of a rarebird than an SC-2. For example, the blue one in my avatar is one of about ten that left the factory in that color with the first body style. Overall production of first-style SC-3s in '82/'83 was about half of the SC-2 production for those years. If you're talking about one from later in the decade, chances are it would have a finished neck and color-matched headstock. That would make it impossible to refinish without removing the decals or having a mis-matched neck, either of which would seriously damage the resale price.

The SC models were hand-built by the same craftsmen using mostly the same components as the "professional" models (although some older parts were used up on the early production). The exception was the finish, which did not get as many coats on the SCs to keep the production costs down. As a result, it is very normal to find more dings and discoloration on them compared to other G&Ls the same age.

I hope this helps.

Ken